What is the square root of complex numbers?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the square root of complex numbers -6i and i. The process involves setting up equations and solving for the real and imaginary parts, using both elementary and polar forms. The final answer is +_(-1+3i) for -6i and \sqrt{3}-i\sqrt{3} and -\sqrt{3}+ i\sqrt{3} for i. There was a small mistake made, but the conversation ended with the issue being resolved and the expert being thanked for their help.
UnD
Please help with these simple questions just not understanding it properly.

Find square root, of -6i
let sqroot of -6i= x+ yi
then -6i=x^2 - y^2 +2xyi
x^2 - y^2 = 0 and 2xy=-6
then xy=-3
x=-3/y
and then solve simu..
i got y= 3 and x=-1 y=-3 x=1
so the anser is +_(-1+3i)
BUt that isn't the answer, please help
one more
square root of
i,
sqroot of i= x+yi
i=x^2-y^2+2xyi
then x^2-y^2= 0 and 2xy=sqroot -1
I am a bit lost around here. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the complex numbers in polar form then extract the square root!

If you're not familiar with that then try something like this:

If [itex]a + i b = \sqrt {x + i y}[/itex] then [itex](a+ib)^2 = (x + iy)[/itex]. Expand the square, equate real and imaginary parts of the two sides respectively, then solve the resulting system of equations for a and b.

Using polar form is the standard way of extracting roots, especially of higher order roots, but I think UnD is right to try setting it up in an elementary form just to see how it works!
Yes, it is true that (x+ iy)2= x2- y2+ (2xy)i= -6i so we must have both x2- y2= 0 and 2xy= -6.
Dividing both sides of the second equation by 2y gives x= -3/y.
You then say "and then solve simu.. i got y= 3". It is the ".." that you should have shown us because that's where the problem is! Putting x= -2/y into the first equation we get 9/y2- y2= 0 or
y2= 9/y2. Multiplying both sides by y2,
y4= 9. Then y2= +/- 3 and so y appears to have 4 possible values:
[tex]y= \sqrt{3}[/tex], [tex] y= -\sqrt{3}[/tex], [tex]y= i\sqrt{3}[/tex], [tex]y= -i\sqrt{3}[/tex].
But since "y" is a real number (in x+ iy, both x and y are real), only the first two are plausible solutions.
If [tex]y= \sqrt{3}[/tex], the first equation becomes x2- 3= 0 so either [tex]x= \sqrt{3}[/tex] or [tex]x= -\sqrt{3}[/tex].
If [tex]y= -\sqrt{3}[/tex], we get the same equation and the same solutions for x.

That is, we have as possible solutions:
[tex]\sqrt{3}+ i\sqrt{3}[/tex], [tex]-\sqrt{3}+i\sqrt{3}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{3}-i\sqrt{3}[/tex], and [tex]-\sqrt{3}-i\sqrt{3}[/tex].

It is easy to check, by direct multiplication, that only
[tex]\sqrt{3}-i\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]-\sqrt{3}+ i\sqrt{3}[/tex]
satisfy the equations (the other two "extraneous" roots were introduced when we multiplied by sides of the equation by y2).

We can use the "polar" form, geometrically, to check that. The point -6i is on the negative "y" (imaginary) axis in the complex plane so it's angle, with the positive (real) axis, is either 270 degrees or -90 degrees. Taking the square root halves that (square root is 1/2 power) giving either 135 or -45 degrees, the line y= -x, so the real and imaginary parts must be negatives of one another. |-6i|= 6 so the absolute value of the square root is the [tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex] which is true for the solutions above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much. You are very helpfull.
I just made a silly mistake. That i didn't pick up even after i did it again.
Thanks very much

Related to What is the square root of complex numbers?

1. What is the definition of the square root of complex numbers?

The square root of a complex number is another complex number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original complex number. In other words, it is a number that, when squared, equals the original complex number.

2. How do you calculate the square root of a complex number?

To calculate the square root of a complex number, you can use the formula z = a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Then, you can use the following formula: √z = ± √(a + bi) = ± (√a + √(a^2 - b^2)i). This will give you two possible solutions, as the square root of a complex number is not always unique.

3. Can the square root of a complex number be a real number?

Yes, the square root of a complex number can be a real number. This happens when the imaginary part of the complex number is equal to 0. In this case, the square root will be a real number equal to the positive or negative value of the real part of the original complex number.

4. What happens when you take the square root of a negative complex number?

When you take the square root of a negative complex number, you will get two possible solutions, as the square root of a negative number is a complex number. This is because you need to take into account both the real and imaginary parts of the original complex number when calculating the square root.

5. Can you simplify the square root of a complex number?

Yes, you can simplify the square root of a complex number by finding the factors of the number inside the square root and then simplifying them. However, it is important to note that not all complex numbers can be simplified, as some do not have any factors that can be simplified.