What Is the Time to Maximum Speed in a Simple Pendulum?

• Thread starter eatingblaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time it takes for a simple pendulum to reach its maximum speed. The formula for the frequency of a pendulum is mentioned, along with an incorrect calculation and a suggestion to redo the calculation. The conversation also suggests using equations for kinetic and potential energy, and finding the work done to solve the problem.
eatingblaa
1. A simple pendulum is made from a 0.773-m-long string and a small ball attached to its free end. The ball is pulled to one side through a small angle and then released from rest. After the ball is released, how much time elapses before it attains its greatest speed?

2. f = 1/2pi (g/l)^1/2

3. I thought that maximum speed would be when the string is vertical for the first time.
This would be when the pendulm had gone through 1/4 of a full oscillation.

So I calculated f =.567s
and 1/4 f = .142s,

But this is wrong,

Am I on the right track or way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
eatingblaa said:
I thought that maximum speed would be when the string is vertical for the first time.
This would be when the pendulm had gone through 1/4 of a full oscillation.
You thought well, but I don't think you did the calculation right. If I use the formula you provided, I get a frequency which is about 10 times larger. So you might want to redo the number crunching :smile:

I have seen some problems like this that have to do with Kinetic Energy.

Ek=1/2mv² so if you have any of the values for this, u can isolate for v like this:

v=√2(Ek)/m

OR.. If u can only work with potential energy you could use this equation

v=√2g▲h

▲h will be the change in height.. but ur looking for time.. so.. hmm.

You may need an equation that has "t" in it.. like P=w/t... if u could find the work done.. or something.. i don't know.. lol.. hope any of this helps.. sorry, I am just starting physics! :)

Related to What Is the Time to Maximum Speed in a Simple Pendulum?

What is the fastest speed in a pendulum?

The fastest speed in a pendulum is at the bottom of its swing, where it has the most kinetic energy.

What factors affect the speed of a pendulum?

The speed of a pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and amplitude of its swing.

Can the fastest speed of a pendulum be increased?

Yes, the fastest speed of a pendulum can be increased by increasing the length, mass, or amplitude of its swing.

What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its speed?

The longer the length of a pendulum, the slower its speed will be, as it takes longer for the pendulum to complete one swing.

How does gravity affect the fastest speed of a pendulum?

Gravity has a direct effect on the fastest speed of a pendulum, as it is the force that pulls the pendulum back towards its center point and determines the amplitude of its swing.