What is the torque required for a track to climb over a step

In summary, the conversation discusses the best system to use for getting an object over a step. The speaker is having trouble finding the torque needed for a track to pull itself up and over. They also mention a diagram of the situation and question whether to consider the radius of the wheel or the track as a whole. They clarify that the weight will be distributed across each point of contact with the ground and the step. The conversation also suggests creating free body diagrams at different stages to determine the design torque for the mechanism.
zephyrific
I'm trying to figure out whether it is best to use a multi-wheel or track system to get an object over a step, however I'm having a bit of trouble finding the torque needed for a track to pull itself up and over.

Diagram of course is not to scale, but I've drawn up something of the situation. I'm not sure of whether to consider the radius of the wheel in contact with the step or rather the track as a whole, or if I'm approaching this completely incorrectly.

Also, to clarify, the weight would be distributed across each point of contact with the ground, and also the point of contact with the step, correct?

GT3NI.png

Attachments

• GT3NI.png
    GT3NI.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 385
Engineering news on Phys.org
Draw some free body diagrams:
1) Immediately after R2 lifts off the ground.
2) At several stages from that point until the mechanism goes over center and is fully on the step.

Each diagram will have different forces, and a different torque on the driver wheel to produce those forces. One of those positions will require the most torque. That is your design torque.

Now adjust the design, and repeat. The process is tedious, but at the end you will have an excellent understanding of the proposed solution. If you have not yet had free body diagrams, then consult Mr Google.

Likes Dr.D

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is required to cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to climbing over a step?

In order for a track to climb over a step, it must have enough torque to overcome the resistance caused by the step. The torque required will depend on the size and shape of the step, as well as the weight and power of the track.

3. What factors affect the torque required for climbing over a step?

The main factors that affect the torque required for climbing over a step include the weight and power of the track, the size and shape of the step, and the coefficient of friction between the track and the ground.

4. How can torque be calculated for climbing over a step?

Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the track by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

5. Can torque be increased for better performance in climbing over a step?

Yes, torque can be increased by increasing the power of the track or by decreasing the size and shape of the step. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the track and the safety of the operator when making any modifications to increase torque.