What is the value of k for continuity at x = π/4?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
RandomGuy1
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



f(x) = [1 - tan(x)]/[1 - √2 sin(x)] for x ≠ π/4
= k/2 for x = π/4

Find the value of k if the function is continuous at x = π/4

The Attempt at a Solution



This means that lim x → π/4 f(x) = k/2

I put x = (π/4 + h) and then evaluated the limit as h tended to zero. Doesn't work. Get sin (2h) in the denominator. Can I get a hint?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
RandomGuy1 said:

Homework Statement



f(x) = [1 - tan(x)]/[1 - √2 sin(x)] for x ≠ π/4
= k/2 for x = π/4

Find the value of k if the function is continuous at x = π/4

The Attempt at a Solution



This means that lim x → π/4 f(x) = k/2

I put x = (π/4 + h) and then evaluated the limit as h tended to zero. Doesn't work. Get sin (2h) in the denominator. Can I get a hint?

You should check both sides of the limit using ##\frac{1 - tan(x)}{1 - \sqrt{2} sin(x)}##.

This will allow you to figure out what ##k## must be in order for the function to truly be continuous at ##x = \pi/4##.