What is the volume of an iron atom?

In summary, the conversation discusses the volume and mass of iron atoms and how to calculate the distance between the centers of adjacent atoms. The volume of an iron atom is 1.18x10^29 m^3 and the distance between the centers of adjacent atoms is 6.05x10^-10 m. There was some confusion about the correct answer, but it was determined that the book's answer of 0.282 nm was correct.
hytuoc
Plz help ASAP!

Iron has a mass of 7.87g/cm^3 of volume, and the mass of an iron atom is 9.27x10^(-26)kg. If the atoms are spherical and tightly packed,
a) a) what is the volume of an iron atom? --> this one I do know how to do it, the answer is 1.18x10^29 m^3
b) what is the distance between the centers of adjacent atoms?
This one, my answer is different than the answer in the book
This was how I did it:
b) [(1.18 x 10^29 m^3) x 3/4] / pi = r^3
r= 3.04 x 10^9 m
=> the distance between the centers of adjacen atoms is 6.08 x 10^9 meters
****but the answer of the book is 0.282 nm
Would someone please show me how to do part b of the problem? Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me... Are you sure the book contains the right answer?

For a), I assume you meant [itex]1.18\times10^{-29}[/itex]. All of the other exponents should also be negative, I believe.

I get [itex]6.05\times10^{-10}[/itex] m for b. I think there's an error in the book. You used the right method.

got it!

I figured it out!
Sirus was right, the radius is 1.18X10^-29. The you jst multiply that by 3/4pi and then take the third root. Finally, you multiply it by 2 and get 2.82X10^-10, which is 282nm.

Right, I was putting pi in the numerator in my calculator (hytuoc, I suspect this was also your error). Book was right.

1. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of an iron atom?

The unit of measurement for the volume of an iron atom is typically expressed in cubic meters (m^3) or cubic angstroms (Å^3).

2. How is the volume of an iron atom calculated?

The volume of an iron atom can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the atom. The radius of an iron atom is approximately 126 picometers (pm).

3. What is the volume of a single iron atom?

The volume of a single iron atom can vary slightly depending on its state (solid, liquid, or gas). On average, the volume of an iron atom is approximately 8.4 x 10^-29 m^3 or 8.4 x 10^-23 Å^3.

4. How does the volume of an iron atom compare to other elements?

The volume of an iron atom is relatively small compared to other elements. For example, the volume of a hydrogen atom is approximately 4.4 x 10^-38 m^3 or 4.4 x 10^-32 Å^3, making it much smaller than an iron atom.

5. Can the volume of an iron atom change?

Yes, the volume of an iron atom can change depending on its temperature and pressure. At higher temperatures and pressures, the volume of an iron atom may increase due to the expansion of its atomic structure. However, as the temperature decreases and pressure decreases, the volume of an iron atom will decrease as well.