What is the work done by an ideal gas in an isobaric process?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the work done by an ideal gas in an isobaric process. The formula for work in an isobaric process is W = p(V2-V1), and using the ideal gas law, W = nR\Delta T is also a valid calculation. The key book answer is 1330 J, while the initial attempt was 1300 J, but after re-checking the calculations, the correct answer was achieved.
hsestudent
[SOLVED] Isobaric process

Hi, need some help with this.

I got to moles of an ideal gas that are heated at constant pressure from T=27 C to T=107C.

How do I calculate the work done by the gas?

I know that for a isobaric process the work is given by

W = p(V2-V1)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Ideal gas law

P.S. We have Homework & Coursework forums for textbook questions.

Oh, I'm sorry. Yeah, I tried W = nRT.

Came out with 1300 J, but the key book says 1330 J.

Using [itex]W = nR\Delta T[/itex], my answer agrees with your text. I would suggest you re-check your calculations.

There, it worked.

Related to What is the work done by an ideal gas in an isobaric process?

1. What is an isobaric process?

An isobaric process is a thermodynamic process in which the pressure of a system remains constant while the volume and temperature may change. This means that the system is allowed to exchange heat and work with its surroundings while maintaining a constant pressure.

2. What are some examples of isobaric processes?

A common example of an isobaric process is boiling water at atmospheric pressure. The pressure remains constant while the temperature increases until the water reaches its boiling point. Another example is a gas expanding in a container with a movable piston, where the pressure remains constant as the volume increases.

3. How is an isobaric process represented on a thermodynamic diagram?

An isobaric process is represented as a horizontal line on a pressure-volume (PV) or temperature-entropy (TS) diagram. This is because the pressure remains constant, so the line is parallel to the pressure axis.

4. What is the first law of thermodynamics in relation to isobaric processes?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In an isobaric process, the work done is equal to the change in volume multiplied by the constant pressure. Therefore, the first law can be written as ΔU = Q - PΔV.

5. Can an isobaric process occur in a closed system?

Yes, an isobaric process can occur in a closed system. In a closed system, no mass is allowed to enter or leave the system, but heat and work can be exchanged. As long as the pressure remains constant, the process can be considered isobaric.