What is this mathematical trickery? (removing a square root?)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the time dilation of an atomic clock moving at 1 000 km/hr for 1 hour compared to an identical clock on Earth. The solution requires substituting values into the time dilation equation, but the calculator rounds up values due to the small velocity. The solution on cramster involves manipulating the square root and using a Taylor expansion for \frac{v^2}{c^2}<<1.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

So I was doing the following relativity problem: An atomic clock moves at 1 000 km/hr for 1 hr as measured by an identical clock on the Earth. At the end of the 1 hr interval, how many nanoseconds slow will the moving clock be compare with the Earth clock?

The problem itself is just based on substituting my given values into the equation for time dilation. However, because the velocity is rather small compared to the speed of light, my calculator rounds up values and I can't proceed, so I looked up the answer on cramster and they have this manipulation but I can't follow it because they do something I don't understand as depicted in this screen cap:

http://i.imgur.com/ZIT4q.png

So what exactly did they do with the square root?

Physics news on Phys.org
They taylor expanded the square root for [tex]\frac{v^2}{c^2}<<1[/tex]

1. What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, equals a given number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, since 5 multiplied by itself equals 25.

2. What is mathematical trickery?

Mathematical trickery refers to using mathematical concepts or techniques in a way that may seem unexpected or counterintuitive to solve a problem or arrive at a solution.

3. How do you remove a square root?

To remove a square root, you can use a process called "squaring." This involves multiplying the number inside the square root by itself. For example, the square root of 25 can be removed by squaring 25, which equals 625. However, it's important to note that this may not work for all equations and can sometimes lead to incorrect solutions.

4. Why do we remove square roots in math?

Removing square roots can make equations easier to solve and manipulate. It can also help in simplifying expressions and making them more manageable. In some cases, removing square roots can also lead to finding a more precise or accurate solution.

5. Is removing a square root always necessary?

No, removing a square root is not always necessary. In some cases, it may be easier or more efficient to leave the square root in the equation. Additionally, removing square roots can sometimes lead to incorrect solutions, so it's important to carefully consider whether it is necessary in a given situation.