What is this mystery particle - LHC?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the Feynman diagram for a proton-antiproton reaction and the expressions for mass and number of produced particles. It also touches upon the particle's spin and its relation to the number of events. The problem statement appears to come from a theorist and ignores experimental considerations. The new particle is heavier than a J/Psi and is not a Higgs-like boson. The ratio for muon-jet branching is calculated to be 1/24, and there is uncertainty about the shape of the normalization for muon pairs. There is also discussion about the dependence of the Breit-Wigner on spin.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Draw the feynman diagram for ##p \bar p \rightarrow## reaction.
(b) Find an expression for mass of the particle.
(c) Find an expression for number of ##\mu^{+} \mu^{-}## produced.
(d) Find an expression of ##n_{jj}## in terms of ##m_{inv}## and its spin.
(e) Deduce the crosssection and lifetime.
(f) What is its baryon number?[/B]
2011_B4_Q7.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)
2011_B4_Q7_2.png

Part(b)

In rest frame, ##m_X^2 = (P + \bar P)^2 = P^2 + \bar P^2 + 2P_u \cdot \bar P_{\bar u}##
We assume kinetic energy is much more than rest mass energy, so
[tex]m_X^2 \approx 2 x_1 x_2 P_p \cdot \bar P_{\bar p}[/tex]
[tex]m_X^2 = x_1 x_2 E_{cm}^2 = x_1 x_2 s [/tex]

I have no idea how to start part (c). I know this particle couples equally to all fermions?

Likes ajayknair
Physics news on Phys.org
The LHC is a proton-proton collider. No antiprotons.

The muons/jet branching ratio is similar to how you calculated branching fractions for the J/Psi a while ago.

Does the problem statement come from a theorist? At least certainly someone not familiar with high-energy experiments. Or someone ignoring how they work on purpose.

mfb said:
The LHC is a proton-proton collider. No antiprotons.

The muons/jet branching ratio is similar to how you calculated branching fractions for the J/Psi a while ago.

Does the problem statement come from a theorist? At least certainly someone not familiar with high-energy experiments. Or someone ignoring how they work on purpose.
So for part (c) it is essentially ##\frac{\Gamma_{\mu^{+}\mu^{-}}}{\Gamma_{jj}} = \frac{1}{(3 \times 3) + 3 + 3} = \frac{1}{15}##? There are ##3 \times 3## states for hadrons, ##3## states for lepton-antilepton and ##3## for neutrino-antineutrino. Is the particle the higgs boson?

Last edited:
Your new particle is heavier than a J/Psi.
unscientific said:
Is the particle the higgs boson?
It is not a Higgs-like boson, otherwise the coupling would depend on the masses of the fermions.

mfb said:
Your new particle is heavier than a J/Psi.
It is not a Higgs-like boson, otherwise the coupling would depend on the masses of the fermions.
Is my ratio ##\frac{1}{15}## right?

You are missing some quark decay modes there.

mfb said:
You are missing some quark decay modes there.
Are all 6 quarks possible? If so then the ratio becomes ##\frac{1}{3 \times 6 + 3 +3} = \frac{1}{24}##.

unscientific said:
Are all 6 quarks possible?
Are 2000 GeV sufficient to produce all types of quark pairs?

Right.

mfb said:
Are 2000 GeV sufficient to produce all types of quark pairs?

Right.
That makes sense.

I don't understand the part where they want us to "compare the shape of normalization for ##\mu^+\mu^-## to the graph above". I found the ratio to be ##\frac{1}{24}## which implies about ##7## out of ## 170 ## events.

Right.
And I don't see a reason to expect a different shape as the problem statement is ignoring all experimental issues anyway.

mfb said:
Right.
And I don't see a reason to expect a different shape as the problem statement is ignoring all experimental issues anyway.
Ok, then for part (d): How is the number of events related to its spin? I thought the number of events is simply related to the cross section ##\sigma##?

Hmm... looks like Breit-Wigner can depend on spin somehow, but I don't know details.

Would appreciate it anyone else could contribute

What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is a large and powerful particle accelerator located in Geneva, Switzerland. It is used by scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

What is the purpose of the LHC?

The LHC is designed to recreate the conditions that existed in the universe just moments after the Big Bang. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists hope to uncover new particles and gain a better understanding of the origins of our universe.

What is the mystery particle being studied at the LHC?

The LHC is studying a particle known as the Higgs boson, also known as the "God particle." It is believed to be responsible for giving other particles their mass and is crucial to our understanding of the universe.

What are the potential implications of discovering the Higgs boson?

The discovery of the Higgs boson would confirm the existence of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles mass. This would help us better understand the structure of matter and the forces that govern it. It could also open up new avenues for scientific research and potentially lead to new technologies.

How does the LHC collide particles?

The LHC uses two beams of particles, typically protons, that are accelerated in opposite directions and then collided at high speeds. These collisions release a tremendous amount of energy, which can create new particles that are studied by scientists.