What is this schematic symbol?

In summary, the attached image is a one-line diagram of a solar-with-battery backup power supply system. It includes two inverters, one for the batteries and one for the solar panels, connected to a splitter that divides the load between the two sources. The circled symbol is believed to represent a current or power sensor integral to the splitter. The drawing is a mix of American and European symbols, potentially also including symbols from the client's country, Tanzania. The symbol in question is likely a disconnect switch without fuse protection, which can come in standard ratings such as 20 A, 30 A, 60 A, and 100 A. A fused disconnect would have a diagonal line and note for the size of fuse, while a
Envergure
See attached image.

This is part of a one-line diagram of a solar-with-battery backup power supply system. Two inverters, one for the batteries and one for the solar panels, feed these things (one of which I've circled in red) at the inputs to a splitter, which splits the load between the two sources. I think the mystery symbol represents a current or power sensor integral to the splitter, but I'm not sure.

The drawing was made by a Canadian and therefore contains a mix of American and European symbols, but the client was in Tanzania, so it could be African as well. We use the client's country's symbols if we know them.

Huh.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it is a disconnect box - like a switch. Agreed it is not ideal. People actually die from this type of misunderstanding - so please pay attention.

It is a Disconnect w/o fuse protection. Basically a knife blade switch with the appropriate Amp rating (not stated, but implied). These types of Disconnects come in the standard ratings: 20 A, 30 A, 60 A, 100 A, ... on up.

A fused Disconnect would have a diagonal line thru it and often a note for the size of fuse (which could be any value up to the rating of the disconnect),

A cross on this symbol would NOT be a disconnect but a combination motor starter.

Thanks. I've been able to confirm that it is a disconnect switch.

What is this schematic symbol?

This is a common question when people are looking at a schematic diagram and come across a symbol they are not familiar with. It is important to understand the symbols in order to fully comprehend the circuit design.

Why are there different schematic symbols for the same component?

There can be different schematic symbols for the same component because it depends on the context of the circuit and the designer's preference. Some symbols may be more commonly used in certain industries or regions.

Do schematic symbols have a universal meaning?

While there are some standard symbols that are recognized globally, there is no universal meaning for all schematic symbols. It is important to refer to the schematic's legend or key to understand the specific meaning of each symbol.

How do I know which schematic symbol to use?

The schematic symbols used in a circuit diagram are typically chosen by the designer or engineer. They may choose a symbol that is commonly used in their industry or one that is more intuitive for the specific circuit design.

Are schematic symbols the same as circuit symbols?

Schematic symbols and circuit symbols are often used interchangeably, but they can be slightly different. Schematic symbols are typically used in circuit diagrams to represent components, while circuit symbols are used in actual circuits to represent physical components.