What Is Wrong with My Washer Method Calculation?

• Thread starter talk2glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating the region bounded by the function x = 1 - y^4 about the line y = -4. The approach is to use the washer method and divide the region into two circles: an outer circle with radius R = y + 4 and an inner circle with radius r = 4. However, the function is undefined at y = 0, so the lower bound of the integral is technically the x-axis. The given bound at x = 0 must also be considered. However, the resulting volume is still infinite due to the shape of the solid. The integration limits from 0 to 1 may be a mistake as it is not mentioned in the
talk2glenn

Homework Statement

The region bounded by x = 1 - y4, is rotated about the line y = -4.
The volume of the resulting solid is:

Homework Equations

Area of a circle: [itex]\pi[/itex]r2
Washer method solution: [itex]\int_a^{b} pi*[f(x)^2-g(x)^2][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the covered region into two circles: outer with R = 4 + y and inner with r = 4. Then solved using washer method, on the integral from 0 to 1 with respect to x.

[itex]\pi\int_0^{1} [4+(1-x)^{1/4}]^2-4^2dx = 106\pi/15[/itex]

Told this is wrong by the computer. Very frustrating, as I can see no other way to set up this integral, having drawn the diagrams. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the R = y + 4, but what's the R = 4?

What I get for the solid is an upside-down cake turned on its side and with the bottom extended forever so I get an infinite volume that is curve-cone shaped with an indentation in the "top" (the part starting at the level of x=1 and closing up at x=-255). Haven't done math in so long that I have no idea what the washer method is so can't help you with that.

You seem to have the shape correct, but the function is undefined at y = 0 (a global min), so practically speaking the x-axis is an unspoken lower bound. This is why I subtract an inner circle of radius 4.

Otherwise, absent this lower bound, you do indeed have an infinite volume beneath the curve. There is also a given bound at x=0 that I didn't mention in the setup.

Does that clear it up?

I don't understand your statement that there is a lower bound on the function but no matter because even with that lower bound the volume is still infinite and I don't see why you say it is not? You have an infinite volumn with a cylinder cut out of the middle, so it is still an infinite volume. Am I missing something?

Why do you integrate from 0 to 1 ? The problem makes no statement about this.

Is there more to the problem than you have stated?

Related to What Is Wrong with My Washer Method Calculation?

1. What is the Washer Method Problem?

The Washer Method Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape created by revolving a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This method is commonly used in calculus and is also known as the "Disk Method".

2. How do you solve the Washer Method Problem?

To solve the Washer Method Problem, you need to follow these steps:

1. Identify the axis of rotation.
  2. Draw a cross-section of the shape and label all the dimensions.
  3. Find the equation of the outer and inner curves.
  4. Determine the limits of integration.
  5. Set up the integral using the formula V = π∫a b (R(x)^2 - r(x)^2) dx, where R(x) is the outer curve and r(x) is the inner curve.
  6. Solve the integral and simplify the equation to find the volume.

3. What are some common applications of the Washer Method Problem?

The Washer Method Problem is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to calculate the volume of objects with curved or irregular shapes, such as bottles, pipes, and storage tanks.

4. Can the Washer Method Problem be used to find the volume of any shape?

No, the Washer Method can only be used to find the volume of shapes that can be rotated around an axis, such as circles, ellipses, and parabolas. It cannot be used to find the volume of irregular shapes or shapes with holes.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving the Washer Method Problem?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving the Washer Method Problem include using the wrong formula, forgetting to square the functions, and using incorrect limits of integration. It is important to double-check all the steps and equations to ensure an accurate solution.