What magnetic position sensor to choose?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need to record the displacement of a small magnetic ball moving sideways across the face of a sensor. The individual had looked at AMS's catalog of magnetic position sensors but was unsure of how to choose one. They needed a sensor that could handle wet conditions and had a movement range of <5mm with a resolution of 5-10μm. The conversation also touched upon the possibility of using optical measurements instead of magnetic sensors and the difficulties in finding a suitable device. The idea of using a camera to record the movement was proposed, but it was noted that there are several factors to consider, such as image quality and lens distortion. Ultimately, the conversation ended with the suggestion of using a CCD line imager, but
Sam21
I want to record the displacement of a small magnetic ball moving sideways across the face of the sensor. I've had a close look at AMS's catalog of magnetic position sensors and I'm not sure how to choose one.

If I'm working with a movement range of <5mm and want a resolution of 5-10μm, and also want one that can handle wet conditions, which would I choose? I assume a linear position sensor would be preferable to an angular one, but from there I'm unsure.

This is the list http://ams.com/eng/Products/Magnetic-Position-Sensors
Perhaps another manufacturer would be better?

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I don't know much about those sensors, but I wonder if you could consider optical measurements and ignore that that the ball is magnetic.

Likes Sam21
anorlunda said:
:welcome:

I don't know much about those sensors, but I wonder if you could consider optical measurements and ignore that that the ball is magnetic.
I could use optical measurements, but they'd have to run continuously for many measurements. I've also found Hall effect sensors to be cheaper. What sort of optical sensor would you use?

Sam21 said:
What sort of optical sensor would you use?

I can think of two.
  1. Video camera with image analysis. You could have a graded scale in the image background.
  2. A laser range-finding device. (Analogous to a surveyor's range finder, but at a much smaller scale.)

Sam21 said:
I want to record the displacement of a small magnetic ball moving sideways across the face of the sensor.
As the ball rolls, the magnetic field will spin as well, right? It seems that the changing magnetic field would make position measurement difficult...

anorlunda said:
I can think of two.
  1. Video camera with image analysis. You could have a graded scale in the image background.
  2. A laser range-finding device. (Analogous to a surveyor's range finder, but at a much smaller scale.)
The only problems with these are that these both record distance from the sensor, where as I need something recording movement that is parallel to the sensor. I also would like something small. I thought an IC would be ideal.

berkeman said:
As the ball rolls, the magnetic field will spin as well, right? It seems that the changing magnetic field would make position measurement difficult...
The ball won't be rolling, it will be translating only. It's similar to the head of a pin.

Hi, just so I understand, you are looking to measure sideways movement of a small object, "Head of a pin" this object can move up to 5mm from left to right (in relation to the sensors view point) I'm assuming the object cannot move up or down or closer or further away from the sensor?

I cannot think of anything that would reliably suit your application, optics and cameras are an option if you have the know how or patience and the budget, however I assume you were looking at magnetic sensors due to the "wet environment" which would interfere with an optical device.

There may be another way around to solve your application, but it would require further explanation of what you are ultimately trying to detect.

Likes Sam21
Tolklein said:
Hi, just so I understand, you are looking to measure sideways movement of a small object, "Head of a pin" this object can move up to 5mm from left to right (in relation to the sensors view point) I'm assuming the object cannot move up or down or closer or further away from the sensor?

I cannot think of anything that would reliably suit your application, optics and cameras are an option if you have the know how or patience and the budget, however I assume you were looking at magnetic sensors due to the "wet environment" which would interfere with an optical device.

There may be another way around to solve your application, but it would require further explanation of what you are ultimately trying to detect.
Thank you for your response, I think you've clarified my question quite a lot. I only want to record the displacement on one axis, so moving up/down or toward/away from the sensor does not really matter. But it should only move left-to-right.

Other than using magnetic Hall effect sensors, I've considered using linear potentiometers. My concern with potentiometers is how reliable they are on the micrometer scale.

Sam21 said:
Perhaps another manufacturer would be better?
Maybe... but probably not the one I used. [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy: [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] lol

DSCF0983.JPG

The idea of using a camera will work, but there are some things to be considered:

- The images must be of good quality ( e.g. white ball, black background, good illumination ).

- The image must be at least 1000 x 1000 pixels

- The lens will distort the image ( lens distortion ) so that the image will not be dimensionally stable. You will have to calibrate the lens and develop some algorithm that converts the recorded image to a dimensionally stable image. The distortion will be radially.

What you will have to do is:

- Record an image.

- Locate the edge of the ball ( the edge pixels ) by means of a spatial filter.

- Convert the locations of the edge pixels into dimensionally stable locations.

- Locate the the position of the ball by means of a Hough transform.

Due to the statistical nature of the Hough transform, you will be able to determine the position of the ball within 0.1 pixel. The method is very robust, but a lot of computer power is needed ( the calculations are simple, but there are 1 Megapixels ). An "IC" will not do it, unless it's a huge FPGA-device. I think that a PC will do the job within about 2 sec., depending on the number of edge pixels.

Likes Sam21
Tom.G said:
Take a look at CCD Line Imager

Well, yes, but a line imager only sees a line.

Say that there is a disturbance in the image, e.g. an unwanted reflection near the edge of the ball and on that line, the line imager will be completely confused: The position of the ball will not be measured correct.

In a spatial image most of the circumference of the ball can be seen, and this greater amount of data causes that a disturbance can be ignored no matter where it occurs: The position of the ball will be measured accurate anyway.

For those curious, the AS5510 is a very good magnetic linear position sensor for small resolutions. It is generally paired with an AS5000 magnet.

1. What is the purpose of a magnetic position sensor?

A magnetic position sensor is used to measure the linear or angular position of an object relative to a magnetic field. It can provide information about the position, velocity, and direction of an object's movement.

2. What types of magnetic position sensors are available?

There are various types of magnetic position sensors, including Hall effect sensors, magnetoresistive sensors, and inductive sensors. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the right sensor for your specific application.

3. How do I determine the appropriate sensing range for my application?

The sensing range of a magnetic position sensor depends on the strength of the magnetic field it can detect. To determine the appropriate range, you should consider the size and material of the object being measured, as well as the distance between the sensor and the object.

4. Can a magnetic position sensor be used in harsh environments?

Yes, there are magnetic position sensors specifically designed for use in harsh environments, such as high temperatures, high humidity, or exposure to chemicals. These sensors have protective coatings and ruggedized casings to ensure their reliability and durability.

5. How do I choose the right magnetic position sensor for my specific application?

Choosing the right magnetic position sensor depends on factors such as the required accuracy, resolution, and response time, as well as the environmental conditions and budget. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors and consult with a sensor expert if needed to determine the best sensor for your application.