What makes the change of sign in Hall?

In summary, Zinc has a positive Hall coefficient because it has a majority of holes as charge carriers, which is uncommon for pure metals. This is due to the effective mass of holes in Zinc being lower than the effective mass of electrons. This is a unique characteristic of Zinc and is not seen in other pure metals like Copper.
rogerk8
Hi!

I have learned that the Hall-coefficient changes sign according to different metals.

Copper for instance has a positive sign, while Zinc has a negative sign.

Why?

To me an ordinary non-doped metal should always have electrons as beariers of charge.

Further more, I have learned that charge density have no impact on Hall voltage.

Another lerndome, heat is not an issue.

Can anyone explain this?

I have read the Wikipedia article but I did not get any wiser.

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
The sign of the Hall coefficient indicates the nature of the majority carriers in a material. For all metals, electrons are the majority carriers(I think we can safely say the only carriers) and so the Hall coefficient for all metals is negative(see here, copper has a negative Hall coefficient too).
But for semiconductors, sometimes holes(the absence of an electron) are the majority carriers. For these materials, the Hall coefficient is positive.

Thank you for that link.

I have read a lot by clicking around.

By heart I seem to know that Zinc is not attracted to a magnet (to keep it simple while thinking it is called "diamagnetic").

I think the Wikipedia article expalins nothing about the fact that the Hall coefficient is positive for Zinc.

It tells something about anomalous Hall Effect but actually nothing about my question.

So the question remains, why has Zinc a positive Hall coefficient?

Roger
PS
I did some editing in that poorly written article :)

In a semiconductor, you can have either negative charge carriers (conduction electrons) or positive charge carriers (holes - absence of charge carriers).

If you know about energy bands, then you'll know that when an electron is given enough energy, it jumps from the valance band to the conduction band. This however, leaves a gap behind, which is called a hole.

You can also introduce holes by introducing a Group 3 element into the semiconductor. These elements (such as Boron) only have 3 valance electrons, so they cannot have 4 bonds with silicon unless they steal an electron from a silicon atom. Then that silicon atom only has 3 electrons, unless they steal one from somewhere else, and thus, we see how we can have a positive charge moving in a semiconductor.

If the holes make more of an impact on the conductivity of the semiconductor, then they are the majority charge carrier, and the Hall Resistance will be positive.

Now, the reason why Zinc has a positive Hall coefficent is because its majority charge carrier is holes.

The reason? Don't know. Might have to do with the effective mass of an electron vs the effective mass of a hole in Zinc.

If anyone sees any mistakes, please let me know, I have my semiconductors exam in 3 hours and would really like if I'm spouting out nonsense.

I thank you Tweej for your nice reply!

Shyan above has however already confirmed my belief that the majority charge carriers in pure metal such as Zinc are electrons.

In other words, semiconductor theory is not relevant.

So my question remains, why has Zinc a positive Hall coefficient?

Roger
PS
Hope your exam went well :)

Likes Tweej

1. What is the Hall effect?

The Hall effect refers to the phenomenon where a voltage is generated perpendicular to the direction of an electric current when it is placed in a magnetic field.

2. What causes the change of sign in Hall?

The change of sign in Hall is caused by the direction of the magnetic field relative to the direction of the current. When the field and current are in opposite directions, the sign of the Hall voltage is positive, while when they are in the same direction, the sign is negative.

3. How is the Hall effect used in scientific research?

The Hall effect is used in scientific research to measure the properties of materials, such as their conductivity and carrier concentration. It is also used in the development of electronic devices, such as sensors and switches.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of the Hall voltage?

The magnitude of the Hall voltage can be affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the type and concentration of charge carriers in the material, and the dimensions of the material.

5. Can the Hall effect be observed in all materials?

No, the Hall effect can only be observed in materials that have mobile charge carriers, such as metals, semiconductors, and some liquids and gases. Insulators, which do not have mobile charge carriers, do not exhibit the Hall effect.