What mass would be required to overcome static friction?

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass needed to overcome the static friction between a block of wood and a wood table, with a coefficient of static friction of 0.40. The force required to move the block is equal to the coefficient of static friction multiplied by the mass. This can be represented by the equation 1.53 x 10^3 g * 0.40 < mg, where g is the weight of the mass.
Amber3046

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction for wood on wood is 0.40, what mass would be required to overcome static friction of a 1.53 x 10^3 g block of wood on a wood table?

Homework Equations

I have absolutely no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know.
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amber3046 said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction for wood on wood is 0.40, what mass would be required to overcome static friction of a 1.53 x 10^3 g block of wood on a wood table?

Homework Equations

I have absolutely no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know.
Thanks for your help.
Perhaps the problem is that you are asking the wrong question. Mass will not "overcome friction". I presume you mean "force". Well, the definition of "coefficient of static friction" is "force required to move divided by mass" so the force you want is the coefficient of static friction multiplied by the mass.

Are you talking about a system where a block of wood is on a table and it is attached to a mass (through a pulley) which is hanging over the table? Because if so, what's needed is the mass which satisfies this equation:

1.53*10^3g * .4 < mg
(Friction Force) (Weight of mass)

p.s. I assume the g you used was grams?

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other but are not moving relative to one another.

2. How does static friction differ from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion.

3. How is the amount of static friction determined?

The amount of static friction depends on the types of materials in contact and the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface of contact.

4. What is the formula for calculating the force required to overcome static friction?

The formula for calculating the force required to overcome static friction is F = μsN, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the force required to overcome static friction?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the force required to overcome static friction. However, a heavier object will have a greater normal force and therefore a greater static friction force.