What Type of Mechanism Converts Up and Down Movement into Rotational Movement?

• Thread starter Chantry09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the video discusses a Stirling engine that uses a rotating plate to convert the reciprocating motion into the rotational movement of the flywheel at the top.
Chantry09
Hi,

I was just wondering what kind of mechanism is used in this video

It converts the up and down movement into rotational movement, and it all seems very compact and smooth.

James

Engineering news on Phys.org
Its worth noting that the reciprocating motion is the powered motion and the rotational movement is the output

It says, its a Stirling engine, just a multi cylindered version.
The acutal moving parts are simply a crank-slider mechanism.

I'm assuming this wasn't what you wanted from an answer, could you clarify exactly what it is you wanted to know please?

Last edited:
Hi, i know what engine it is, I am after the mechanism that converts the reciprocating motion into the rotational movement of the flywheel at the top.

I don't think a crank and slider mechanism is what is used, since the reciprocation motion is on the y axis, and the rotation movement is pivoting on the y axis, not the x axis.

Too bad you can't see the mechanism. Looks to me like a swash plate that's pushing the pistons, not the other way around.

Basically, it has a rotating plate that's set off at an angle from the central axis. As it goes around, the pistons get pushed in and then come back out as the sloped plate surface goes past each piston. There's nothing to pull the piston back out like a conventional crankshaft machine, so the pistons are generally spring loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I see, that's quite interesting actually. Do you think a circular cam with a wave cut into its circumference and then attached to the cylinders via rollers would also be viable? It would mean I wouldn't have to use springs to push the pistons back down.

Spadez said:
Ah I see, that's quite interesting actually. Do you think a circular cam with a wave cut into its circumference and then attached to the cylinders via rollers would also be viable? It would mean I wouldn't have to use springs to push the pistons back down.
I don't see any reason that wouldn't work.
Just for reference to the other website you have the question at:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=263186&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this just a simple barrel cam (cylindrical cam)?

1. What mechanism is this and how does it work?

The mechanism in question is a system or a process that operates to produce a specific effect. It works by utilizing a set of components or parts that work together to achieve a desired outcome.

2. What are the key components of this mechanism?

The key components of a mechanism can vary depending on the specific mechanism in question. However, they generally include things like gears, pulleys, levers, and other mechanical parts that work together to achieve a specific function.

3. How does this mechanism compare to other similar mechanisms?

This question is difficult to answer without knowing the specific mechanisms being compared. However, in general, mechanisms can be compared based on their efficiency, complexity, and overall effectiveness in achieving their intended purpose.

4. Are there any safety concerns related to this mechanism?

Safety concerns can vary depending on the type and complexity of the mechanism. It is always important to carefully follow safety guidelines and instructions when operating any mechanism to avoid potential accidents or injuries.

5. Can this mechanism be improved or modified for different purposes?

It is possible to improve or modify a mechanism for different purposes, but it would depend on the specific mechanism and the intended modifications. Some mechanisms may be more easily adaptable than others, while some may require significant changes to achieve a different purpose.