What must be the charge and placement of the third charge

In summary, the equilibrium of the first two charges, -Qo and -3Qo, is dependent on the charge and placement of a third charge, Q3, between them. The location of Q3 will be expressed in terms of l, while the magnitude of Q3 will be expressed in terms of Qo. To solve for the location and magnitude of Q3, two equations are set up using the distance between the two given charges, x, and the distance l. Q3 can be expressed as aQo, with a representing the magnitude of Q3.
shashaeee
Two charges -Qo and -3Qo, are a distance l apart. These two charges are free to move but do not because there is a third charge nearby. What must be the charge and placement of the third charge for the first two to be in equilibrium.

This would be easier if I was given an l amount, but since all I know is l, I'm now stuck. I know that it has to be in the middle because putting it on either sides will give a net value.

Can someone just guide me on how to get started on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
shashaeee said:
This would be easier if I was given an l amount, but since all I know is l, I'm now stuck.

Since the value of l is not given, you'll express the answer for the location of the third charge in terms of l. And the magnitude of the third charge will be expressed in terms of Qo.

You already know that the third charge, Q3, will be placed between the two given charges. So, let x be the distance from one of the charges. Express the distance to the other charge in terms of l and x. Try to set up two equations that contain the two unknowns, x and Q3. It will help to write the third charge as Q3 = aQo and take the two unknowns to be a and x.

Last edited:

What must be the charge and placement of the third charge?

The charge and placement of the third charge depend on the specific scenario and the desired outcome. It is important to consider the charges and locations of the other two charges and how they will interact with the third charge. The third charge can be positive, negative, or neutral, and its placement can be between the other two charges, outside of them, or even further away.

What is the role of the third charge in an electrical field?

The third charge plays a crucial role in an electrical field as it can affect the strength and direction of the field. Depending on its charge and placement, the third charge can either reinforce or cancel out the electric field created by the other two charges.

How does the distance between the third charge and the other two charges affect the overall electric field?

The distance between the third charge and the other two charges can greatly influence the strength of the electric field. As the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the inverse square law.

What factors should be considered when determining the charge and placement of the third charge?

When deciding on the charge and placement of the third charge, it is important to consider the desired outcome, the charges and locations of the other two charges, and the overall electric field that is being created. Additionally, the properties of the medium through which the charges are interacting should also be taken into account.

What mathematical equations can be used to calculate the electric field at a specific point in relation to the third charge?

The electric field at a specific point in relation to the third charge can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Additionally, the principle of superposition can be used to calculate the total electric field by considering the contributions of each charge separately.