Angular Momentum Conservation in Spacecraft Orbits

In summary, the spacecraft in a parabolic orbit has the same kinetic energy at infinity as it does when in a circular orbit.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
A spacecraft designed to reach Mars has mass=2000 kg. The first stage moves in an almost parabolic orbit. When it reaches the closest point (5 times Mars radius), it starts moving in a circular orbit. After that, it moves in an elliptical orbit and lands. Determine
A) what magnitudes of the spacecraft are conserved
B) angular momentum in each orbit
C) velocity when it reaches the closest point in the parabolic orbit
D) energy needed to change to the circular orbit, and then to the elliptical one.
E) velocity when it lands
Relevant Equations
##E_M=E_C+E_P##
##L=rxv##
Tell me if I'm right:
A) Angular momentum is conserved because there are no external torques. Linear momentum isn't conserved because gravity is acting on the spacecraft . Mechanical energy isn't conserved because it has to change between different orbits.
B) Parabolic orbit: ##L=mv_1.5r_{Mars}##
Circular: ##L=mv_2 5r_{Mars}##
Elliptical: ##L=mv_3r_{Mars}##

I don't know if I should consider ##v_1## as given because that's what I'm asked in C. If I should't then I don't know how to calculate ##L##.

D) I know that ##E_M=E_C+E_P##, so I have to do ##\Delta E##. Kinetic energy is simple, but what about potenial energy? From circular to elliptical we have ##E_{cir}=-GmM/5r_m## and ##E_{elip}=-GmM/2(r_a+r_p)##, where ##r_p=r_{Mars}## but what about ##r_a##?

E) That's just the velocity at perigee.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
A) Angular momentum is conserved because there are no external torques
Would you expect the rocket to fire its thrusters to change from parabolic orbit to circular orbit?

Is the mass of the spacecraft conserved?

As I read the question, the intent is to model the spacecraft as a payload of fixed mass to which propulsion is applied by an unspecified external force. This force provides (or absorbs) the required change in payload energy at the two points specified in:
Like Tony Stark said:
D) energy needed to change to the circular orbit, and then to the elliptical one.
If we decide to model the entire space craft, including the not-yet-burned fuel, the situation is more difficult. Since we are not given an exhaust velocity, I would think that it best to stick with the simpler model.

Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
If we decide to model the entire space craft, including the not-yet-burned fuel, the situation is more difficult. Since we are not given an exhaust velocity, I would think that it best to stick with the simpler model.

So angular and linear momentum, and mechanical energy are not conserved.
But then I have different unknown variables, because I don't have ##dm/dt## or initial velocity for example.
How should I go on?
And when I want to calculate the change in energy between the orbits what formulas should I use? (Because ##GmM/2a## is used for elliptical or circular orbits, but what about parabolic or hyperbolic orbits?)

Like Tony Stark said:
So angular and linear momentum, and mechanical energy are not conserved.
But then I have different unknown variables, because I don't have ##dm/dt## or initial velocity for example.
How should I go on?
And when I want to calculate the change in energy between the orbits what formulas should I use? (Because ##GmM/2a## is used for elliptical or circular orbits, but what about parabolic or hyperbolic orbits?)
For a circular orbit, can you calculate kinetic energy and potential energy? What fraction is the one of the other?

jbriggs444 said:
For a circular orbit, can you calculate kinetic energy and potential energy? What fraction is the one of the other?
Yes, the kinetic energy of a satellite in a circular orbit is half its gravitational energy

Like Tony Stark said:
Yes, the kinetic energy of a satellite in a circular orbit is half its gravitational energy
Now, is there anything special about a parabolic orbit? How much kinetic energy is left at infinity in such an orbit?

jbriggs444 said:
Now, is there anything special about a parabolic orbit? How much kinetic energy is left at infinity in such an orbit?
In parabolic orbits you have ##GmM/r = 1/2 m v^2##

Like Tony Stark said:
In parabolic orbits you have ##GmM/r = 1/2 m v^2##
So you have everything you need to compute the velocity before and after the transition from parabolic to circular orbit, yes?

Likes Like Tony Stark
I
jbriggs444 said:
So you have everything you need to compute the velocity before and after the transition from parabolic to circular orbit, yes?
I've understood
thanks!

1. What is angular momentum conservation in spacecraft orbits?

Angular momentum conservation in spacecraft orbits is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as no external torques act on it. In other words, the rotation of an object in space will remain constant unless an external force is applied to change it.

2. How does angular momentum conservation affect spacecraft orbits?

Angular momentum conservation plays a crucial role in determining the shape and stability of spacecraft orbits. It helps to maintain a constant orbital speed and direction, ensuring that the spacecraft stays in its designated orbit without drifting away or falling into the gravitational pull of a planet.

3. Why is angular momentum conservation important in space missions?

Angular momentum conservation is essential in space missions because it allows spacecraft to maintain a stable orbit without using excessive amounts of fuel. This is especially important for long-term missions, as it helps to conserve resources and ensure the success of the mission.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between spacecraft in orbit?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between spacecraft in orbit through various methods, such as docking and undocking, or using thrusters to change the direction and speed of the spacecraft. However, the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant.

5. How do scientists calculate and measure angular momentum in spacecraft orbits?

Scientists use mathematical equations and measurements, such as the spacecraft's mass, velocity, and distance from the center of rotation, to calculate and measure the angular momentum of a spacecraft in orbit. This information is crucial for accurately predicting and controlling the spacecraft's movement in space.