What resistance is needed if current is .300 A?

In summary, resistance is a measure of opposition to the flow of electric current, represented by the symbol "R" and measured in ohms (Ω). It is inversely related to current, meaning that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. The unit for current is ampere (A), also known as amp, and is represented by the symbol "I". To calculate the resistance needed for a specific current, you can use Ohm's Law (R=V/I) and plug in the values for voltage and desired current. Knowing the resistance needed for a specific current is important for designing and building circuits that can handle the desired amount of current and understanding the behavior of electricity.
pebbles

Homework Statement

A 75.0 W bulb is connected to a 120 V source. A lamp dimmer puts a resistance in series with the bulb. What resistance would be needed to reduce the current to .300 A?

Homework Equations

R=V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

R=120/.3A=400 ohms. The answer is 210 ohms. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's another relevant equation.

[tex](R_{bulb} + R_{dimmer} = V_{total}/I[/tex]

Here is one more:

[tex] P=V^2/R [/tex]

Related to What resistance is needed if current is .300 A?

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R".

2. How is resistance related to current?

Resistance and current are inversely related. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current (R=V/I).

3. What is the unit for current?

The unit for current is ampere (A), also known as amp. It is the measure of the rate of flow of electric charge through a circuit, and is represented by the symbol "I".

4. How do I calculate the resistance needed for a specific current?

To calculate the resistance needed for a specific current, you can use Ohm's Law (R=V/I). You will need to know the voltage and the desired current. Plug in these values to the equation and the result will be the resistance needed.

5. Why is knowing the resistance needed for a specific current important?

Knowing the resistance needed for a specific current is important because it allows us to design and build circuits that can safely and efficiently handle the desired amount of current. It also helps us understand the behavior of electricity and how it flows through a circuit.