What sort of spiral is traced out by each of the ants?

In summary, four ants at each corner of a unit square begin to chase their counterclockwise neighbor at the same speed. Due to the symmetry of the problem, the direction of travel always makes a -45 degree angle with the radius vector. This results in an exponential spiral traced out by each ant, with the equation r = r_0 e^{-(\theta - \theta_0)}. Despite eventually meeting at the center of the square, the ants will make an infinite number of loops about the center due to traveling at a constant speed. This can be solved using symmetry and differential equations.
recon
Four ants are situated at each vertex of a unit square. Suddenly, each ant begins to chase its counterclockwise neighbor. All the ants travel at the same speed and eventually,they all meet at the centre of the square. What sort of spiral is traced out by each of the ants? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the symmetry of the problem, the direction of travel always makes a -45 deg angle with the radius vector so

[tex]\frac {r d\theta}{dr} = -1[/tex]

from which

[tex]r = r_0 e^{-(\theta - \theta_0)}[/tex]

Curiously, if the ants travel at a constant speed they meet at a finite time but only after making an infinite number of loops about the center!

I failed to mention that all four ants are traveling at the same speed. I've edited the first post.

Last edited:
Here's how I did that problem (many years ago).
Set up a coordinate system so that corners of the square are at (0,0), (1,0), (1,1) and (0,1). The ant at (0,0) starts toward its neighbor at (1,0), which starts toward its neighbor at (1,1), etc. At first I thought I would have to set up a system of 4 related differential equations but then I came to my senses and used symmetry as Tide said!

Let (x,y) be the position at time t of the ant that starts at (0,0). Then, by symmetry (Draw a picture!), the position of its neighbor at the same time is (1-y, x).
The line from (x,y) to (1-y,x) has slope [itex]\frac{x-y}{1-x-y}[/itex] and that is the slope of the tangent line to the ant's path:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{x-y}{1-x-y}[/tex]
Solve that differential equation with the initial condition y(0)= 0.

If you let u= x-1/2, v= y- 1/2 (i.e. shift so the center of the square is at (0,0) which is what I should have done to start with) then change to polar coordinates, the differential equation becomes dr/dθ= -r so that is an exponential spiral.

(Edited: I had the fraction for the slope upside down!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What sort of spiral is traced out by each of the ants?

1. What is the purpose of studying the spiral traced out by ants?

The spiral traced out by ants is of interest to scientists because it can reveal information about their behavior and decision-making processes. It can also provide insights into how they navigate their environment and find food.

2. Are all ants capable of tracing out a spiral?

No, not all ants are capable of tracing out a spiral. This behavior is primarily observed in certain species of ants, such as army ants and leafcutter ants. It is believed that this behavior evolved as a way for these ants to efficiently forage for food.

3. How do ants trace out a spiral?

Ants trace out a spiral by laying down a trail of pheromones as they move. As more ants follow the trail, it becomes stronger, creating a visible spiral pattern. This allows the ants to efficiently cover a large area while searching for food.

4. Can the direction of the spiral change?

Yes, the direction of the spiral can change depending on the environmental conditions and the type of food the ants are searching for. For example, if the food source is located in a different direction, the spiral may shift to accommodate this change.

5. Is the spiral traced out by ants always perfect?

No, the spiral traced out by ants is not always perfect. Factors such as obstacles, wind, and other environmental conditions can affect the shape and accuracy of the spiral. Additionally, different species of ants may have variations in their spiral patterns.