1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What temperature rise causes the transistor to saturate?tran

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Additional Exercise 7 in the textbook (H&H, p. 110). Vout is 0.5Vcc at the quiescent point. You may assume beta = 100. The transistor is said to saturate when VC = VB. Use the fact IC grows 9%/ degree C and that VBE is constant to determine when the transistor saturates.

2. Relevant equations

Vb = Vbe +IeRe

Vcc = IcRc + Vce + IeRe where Ic = (beta x Ie)/(beta +1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so firstly I'm confused about whether we need to answer 7 and this question or just what's written in "1.". Anyway, for Vb = 0.5Vcc the two resistors must be equal ( I don't really understand what that arrow is pointing to the resistor, please explain? Since the problem says he adjusts it until 0.5Vcc is reached I'm assuming both resistors = 1K) Therefore Vout = 10V = Vb.

And this is as far as I get since there is no Re i'm not really sure about how to get Vc. If there was a resistor there I would find Vc using the above equation then figure how much I need to increase the temperature to get Vc = 10v. Please help!

Is the current in the collector the same as that in the emitter? Do I need to take into consideration re (little r e, the intrinsic resistance of the resistor)?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?