What was the original speed of the bullet?

In summary, a 10.0g bullet with an unknown initial velocity is fired into a stationary block of wood with a mass of 5.00 kg. The bullet becomes embedded in the block and the final velocity of the combined system is 0.600 m/s. Using the equation for momentum, p=mv, we can determine that the initial momentum of the bullet and the block before the collision was zero. Therefore, we can solve for the initial velocity of the bullet using the equation p=mv, where p is the final momentum of the combined system, m is the mass of the bullet and v is the initial velocity.
Joyci116

Homework Statement

A 10.0g bullet is fired into a stationary block of wood (m=5.00 kg). The bullet imbeds into the block. The speed of the bullet-plus-wood combination immediately after the collision is 0.600 m/s. What was the original speed of the bullet?

ball m=10.0g=0.01kg
wood m= 5.00kg
Vf=0.600m/s
Vi=?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

i=change in momentum
=mVi-mVf
So, solve for Vi?
Then I would have to know what i is, right?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write equations for the momentum before and after the collision takes place. Be sure to specify which masses are involved.

p=mv
The momentum found using final velocity:
p=(0.01kg)(0.600m/s)=0.006 kg*m/s (ball)
p=(5.00kg)(0.600m/s)=0.006 kg*m/s (wood)
And I assumed the initial velocity was zero, so I ended up with a zero momentum.
Is that correct so far?

no, the bullet started with (fast) unknown velocity
It was theonly thing that HAD momentum, at first.

Thanks, I finally figured it out. :D

Related to What was the original speed of the bullet?

1. What is a collision in one dimension?

A collision in one dimension is when two objects come into contact with each other in a straight line, without any movement in other directions.

2. What is the conservation of momentum in one dimensional collisions?

The conservation of momentum in one dimensional collisions states that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum is conserved, even though the individual momenta of the objects may change.

3. How is the coefficient of restitution related to collisions in one dimension?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much energy is lost during a collision. In one dimensional collisions, the coefficient of restitution can be calculated using the ratio of the final velocity of separation to the initial velocity of approach.

4. Can the relative velocities of two objects be different before and after a collision in one dimension?

Yes, the relative velocities of two objects can be different before and after a collision in one dimension. This is because the direction of the velocities may change during the collision, resulting in a change in the relative velocities.

5. What are some real-life examples of collisions in one dimension?

Some real-life examples of collisions in one dimension include a car colliding with a barrier, a ball bouncing off a wall, or a billiard ball striking another ball on a pool table.