What were the sacrifices of ANZAC troops at Gallipoli?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary,In commemoration of the sacrifices made by Australians and New Zealanders in wars dating back to World War I, the day of 25 April is a day of remembrance and solemnity.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
25 April, is a special day in the history of Australia and New Zealand ... ANZAC Day
Australia and New Zealand Army Corp
This is a day for the memory firstly for the memory of those who fought and the many that gave their lives in defending the freedom from tyranny during the WW1.
Secondly, it is in memory of all Australia and New Zealand troops and support staff in any and all wars since WW1
"In the rising of the sun and the going down of the same. We will remember them"

IMGP2817smm.jpg

IMGP2818smm.jpg
Photos taken at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.Dave

Attachments

• IMGP2817smm.jpg
    IMGP2817smm.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMGP2818smm.jpg
    IMGP2818smm.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 376
Likes berkeman, Choppy, Hypercube and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I was at the ANZAC Dawn Service in the Hills District. I'm relatively new to Australia and it was the first time I had attended any such commemorative service. It was an amazing experience learning about the dedication of the Australian defence force.

Likes davenn
The ANZACs and Canadians were the shock troops of the British Army during the war

Likes davenn
Interesting. Always had an interest in the Great War, particularly the contributions by Britain's colonial possessions. Would love to be able to visit the memorial one day, and perhaps even see the battlefields as they are today in Turkey.

I finished reading Gallipoli by Peter Hart about a year or two ago; what a debacle that campaign was.

Likes davenn
I remember watching the WWI and Gallipoli vets (with those of WWII and other wars) in the ANZAC parade from my dad's office in Melbourne during the 1960s. We wore red poppies in our lapels. We'd visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, or The Shrine of Remembrance, after the parade.

https://anzacday.org.au/index.html
https://www.awm.gov.au/index.php/commemoration/customs-and-ceremony/poppies
http://www.army.mil.nz/culture-and-history/anzac-day.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy

https://www.shrine.org.au/Home

Likes davenn
Astronuc said:
I remember watching the WWI and Gallipoli vets (with those of WWII and other wars) in the ANZAC parade from my dad's office in Melbourne during the 1960s. We wore red poppies in our lapels. We'd visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, or The Shrine of Remembrance, after the parade.

A wonderful contribution to the thread, Astro, Thanks mate :smile:

reading through those links had the tears welling up in my eyesDave

Mondayman said:
I finished reading Gallipoli by Peter Hart about a year or two ago; what a debacle that campaign was.

Uh huh
The Aussies and Kiwis were basically used as cannon fodder by the high command :frown:

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of ANZAC Day?

ANZAC Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand to honor and remember the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations. It is observed on April 25th each year, which marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by ANZACs during World War I.

2. How is ANZAC Day commemorated?

ANZAC Day is commemorated through various ceremonies and traditions, including dawn services, marches, wreath laying ceremonies, and special church services. In addition, people may attend memorial services, visit war memorials and graves, and wear a red poppy as a symbol of remembrance. It is also customary to observe a minute of silence at 11 am to remember the fallen soldiers.

3. Why is the red poppy the symbol of ANZAC Day?

The red poppy is a symbol of remembrance and hope for a peaceful future. It originated from the poem "In Flanders Fields" written by John McCrae during World War I, which describes the red poppies that grew on the battlefields of Belgium. Today, the red poppy is worn as a symbol of respect and gratitude for the sacrifices made by ANZAC soldiers.

4. Are ANZAC Day services only for Australians and New Zealanders?

No, ANZAC Day services are not limited to Australians and New Zealanders. It is a day of remembrance for all who served and sacrificed during wars and conflicts. Many countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, and Papua New Guinea, also commemorate ANZAC Day.

5. How has ANZAC Day evolved over the years?

ANZAC Day has evolved from a day of remembrance for World War I veterans to a day to honor all those who have served and died in wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations. It has also become a significant day to reflect on the impact of war and to promote peace and understanding among nations. In recent years, ANZAC Day has also been used to recognize the contributions of indigenous soldiers and women in the armed forces.