What "woo" would you build into a story?

• Thread starter Noisy Rhysling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that the Moon is a spaceship put in place to create conditions for life on Earth. The speaker suggests the use of a dwarf planet as a control system for this mission and references a movie that explores this concept. The conversation then shifts to the potential for an improved version of the movie and the possibility of finding signs of intelligent life.
Noisy Rhysling
I like to skate around abovetopsecret.com without actually falling in. ;) One of my favorite chunks of weirdness in that soup of insanity is the idea that the Moon is actually a spaceship. Some say it was put here to help create conditions conducive to life, to stir the primordial soup and all that.

My thought would be to have a "dwarf planet" (ducks stones from Pluto fans) with a control system built on it brought into Earth orbit for this mission. Each time humans get close to finding the control room or other signs of intelligent life other than our own, they are abducted and simulacra are created and sent back in their place. Our Hero would be one of those captured and would be tasked with breaking himself and Fair Damsel out of their confinement to alert the humans of this situation.

Likes Lren Zvsm and Lothlorien
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Lren Zvsm
Noisy Rhysling said:
I would hope to do better than that.
I'm certain you could.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Bystander said:
I'm certain you could.
Sometimes I wonder...

1. What is "woo" in a story?

In storytelling, "woo" refers to elements that may seem far-fetched or supernatural, such as magic, mythical creatures, or unexplainable events.

2. Why include "woo" in a story?

Including "woo" in a story can add excitement, mystery, and a sense of wonder to the plot. It can also allow for deeper exploration of themes and ideas that may not be possible in a strictly realistic setting.

3. How do you incorporate "woo" into a story without it seeming unrealistic?

It's important to establish rules and limitations for the "woo" elements in the story and to stick to them. This helps create a sense of believability and consistency within the fictional world. Additionally, grounding the "woo" in relatable emotions and character motivations can help make it more relatable to readers.

4. Is there a limit to how much "woo" can be included in a story?

There is no set limit to how much "woo" can be included in a story, as it ultimately depends on the goals and style of the writer. However, it's important to balance the "woo" with other elements of the story and make sure it serves a purpose in advancing the plot or developing the characters.

5. How can "woo" be used effectively in different genres of storytelling?

"Woo" can be used in a variety of genres, from fantasy and science fiction to romance and mystery. In each case, it's important to consider how the "woo" elements can enhance the genre conventions and themes of the story. For example, in a romance, the "woo" can add a sense of magic to the love story, while in a mystery, it can add an extra layer of intrigue and complexity to the plot.