What would the acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball look like?

• Thread starter opticaltempest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration-time graph of a ball being thrown into the air. The person is having trouble picturing the graph at the instant the ball switches from being accelerated by the thrower to being accelerated by gravity. They are also looking for links that could show this graphically. The graph would depend on factors such as air drag and the force applied by the thrower. If the force is constant and air drag is neglected, there would be a discontinuity in the graph.
opticaltempest
This isn't a homework problem but rather a question I am having a hard time finding an answer to using google.com.

I have a ball in in my hand. I throw it straight up as hard as possible into the air. What would the acceleration-time graph look like as the ball is being accelerated then released by my hand.

I'm having trouble picturing what the acceleration-time graph would look like the instant the ball switches from being accelerated by my hand to being accelerated by gravity? Does it instantaneously change from being a positive acceleration w.r.t. the thrower to being a negative acceleration w.r.t. the thrower?

Where are some good links that would show this graphically?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well as you know it depends whether we are considering air drag too, it could be linear or not. Also it depends on modeling the force you exerted, if it's constant or variable (is there an empirical equation for it?). If it's constant and air drag is neglected there would definately be a discontinuity.

The acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball would have a few distinct features. Initially, when the ball is still in your hand, the acceleration would be zero as it is not yet in motion. As you throw the ball up, the acceleration would increase rapidly, reaching its maximum value at the point of release.

Once the ball is released, the acceleration would decrease due to the force of gravity acting on it. This would result in a curved line on the graph, with the acceleration decreasing as the ball moves higher and higher.

At the highest point of the ball's trajectory, the acceleration would be zero again, as the ball has reached its maximum height and is momentarily at rest before it starts to fall back down.

As the ball falls back down, the acceleration would increase again, but in the opposite direction (negative acceleration) due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground. This would result in a mirrored curve on the graph, with the acceleration increasing as the ball falls closer to the ground.

Eventually, the ball would reach the ground and the acceleration would become zero again as it comes to a stop.

To see a visual representation of this graph, you can search for "acceleration-time graph of a thrown ball" on Google or YouTube. Here is a link to an example:

Related to What would the acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball look like?

1. What does the acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball show?

The acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball represents the change in acceleration over time as the ball is thrown upwards and falls back to the ground.

2. How would the acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball differ from throwing a ball horizontally?

The acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball would show a positive acceleration as the ball is thrown upwards, while the acceleration-time graph of throwing a ball horizontally would show a constant acceleration of zero.

3. What factors affect the shape of the acceleration-time graph for throwing up a ball?

The shape of the acceleration-time graph for throwing up a ball is affected by the initial velocity of the ball, air resistance, and the force applied to the ball.

4. Can the acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball be used to calculate the height of the throw?

Yes, the height of the throw can be calculated by using the equation h = (v2 - u2)/2g, where h is the height, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How would the acceleration-time graph change if the ball was thrown on a planet with no atmosphere?

If the ball was thrown on a planet with no atmosphere, the acceleration-time graph would show a constant acceleration of -9.8 m/s2 as the ball falls back to the ground due to the gravitational force of the planet.