1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would the acceleration-time graph of throwing up a ball look like?

1. Jan 15, 2006 #1
    This isn't a homework problem but rather a question I am having a hard time finding an answer to using google.com.

I have a ball in in my hand. I throw it straight up as hard as possible into the air. What would the acceleration-time graph look like as the ball is being accelerated then released by my hand.

I'm having trouble picturing what the acceleration-time graph would look like the instant the ball switches from being accelerated by my hand to being accelerated by gravity? Does it instantaneously change from being a positive acceleration w.r.t. the thrower to being a negative acceleration w.r.t. the thrower?

Where are some good links that would show this graphically?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Well as you know it depends whether we are considering air drag too, it could be linear or not. Also it depends on modeling the force you exerted, if it's constant or variable (is there an empirical equation for it?). If it's constant and air drag is neglected there would definetly be a discontinuity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?