Unveiling the Universe: Understanding the Composition of Our Cosmos

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, according to the cosmic energy inventory, 26.8% of the universe is made up of dark matter, 68.3% is dark energy, and 4.9% is normal matter. Normal matter is divided into luminous matter, which includes stars and luminous gases, and nonluminous matter, which includes intergalactic gas and neutrinos. Luminous matter makes up about 10% of normal matter. From the Planck collaboration's results, it is believed that about 4.5% of the universe is baryons, which are atoms. This is a correction from the previous estimate of 0.045%.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So far i know that------26.8% is dark mater, 68.3% is dark energy and 4.9% is normal matter.

what is meant by [normal matter] and what is the proportion of luminous matter.

Space news on Phys.org
The cosmic energy inventory has a detailed list of those contributions. It was written before the Planck collaboration published results, but that should just give small changes.

From wikipedia: "Ordinary matter is divided into luminous matter (the stars and luminous gases and 0.005% radiation) and nonluminous matter (intergalactic gas and about 0.1% neutrinos and 0.04% supermassive black holes)." Luminous matter makes up about 10% of ordinary matter. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter

Is this correct, only 0.045% of the universe is baryons?

Last edited:
wolram said:

Yes, I believe that's correct. I think Planck gives 4.9%, but that's just a quibble.

wolram said:
About 4.5% is atoms (baryons)...are you off by a factor of 100 accidentally?

My mistake, i have looked again and it is in deed 4.5%.

Thanks.

What is the universe made of?

The universe is made up of various elements, including matter, energy, and dark matter.

What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. This includes atoms, which are the building blocks of all matter.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work and is present in many forms, such as light, heat, and motion. It is a fundamental component of the universe and is closely tied to matter.

What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or reflect light, making it invisible to telescopes. It is estimated to make up about 27% of the universe and its exact composition is still a mystery to scientists.

How do scientists study the composition of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods and tools to study the universe, including telescopes, particle accelerators, and computer simulations. By observing and analyzing the behavior of matter and energy, scientists can gain a better understanding of the composition of the universe.