Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the universe made of?

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1

wolram

Gold Member

So far i know that------26.8% is dark mater, 68.3% is dark energy and 4.9% is normal matter.

what is meant by [normal matter] and what is the proportion of luminous matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The cosmic energy inventory has a detailed list of those contributions. It was written before the Planck collaboration published results, but that should just give small changes.

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3

bapowell

Science Advisor

From wikipedia: "Ordinary matter is divided into luminous matter (the stars and luminous gases and 0.005% radiation) and nonluminous matter (intergalactic gas and about 0.1% neutrinos and 0.04% supermassive black holes)." Luminous matter makes up about 10% of ordinary matter. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Is this correct, only 0.045% of the universe is baryons?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  6. Nov 7, 2013 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Yes, I believe that's correct. I think Planck gives 4.9%, but that's just a quibble.

7. Nov 7, 2013 #6

bapowell

Science Advisor

About 4.5% is atoms (baryons)...are you off by a factor of 100 accidentally?

8. Nov 7, 2013 #7

wolram

Gold Member

My mistake, i have looked again and it is in deed 4.5%.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook