1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheatstone Bridge Experiment

1. Mar 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Why is the Wheatstone bridge measurement capable of so much greater accuracy than the measurement or resistance with voltmeters and ammeters, using R = V/I?
    and
    2. R in this experiment is a resistance box and so is accurate to the nearest ohm. Is this uncertainty in R more or less important than the uncertainties in L1 and L2?

2. Relevant equations
    Attached doc for procedure

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure about these two questions for my post-lab. For 1, I thought that the Wheatstone bridge would be more accurate because it's independent of the supply voltages, other than from thermal inaccuracies. But I don't know why beyond that- maybe that's all the question is getting at? Not sure.
    And for 2, I really don't know. Both are in the equation? So why would one be 'more important' than the other, anyway?

Thanks for any insight

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted