Wheel Rolling Uphill: Force Diagram & Angular Momentum

In summary, a wheel with mass m, inner radius r and outer radius R is placed on a slope with angle θ. When a constant torque Tau is applied at the center of mass, the wheel rolls uphill. To find the acceleration of the wheel, the sum of the torque is equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia can be calculated by integrating the mass density over the radial range of r to R. To find the angular momentum after one revolution, the equation L = I*ω can be used, along with the kinematics equation for rotational motion.
laurids

Homework Statement

A wheel with mass m, inner radius r and outer radius R is placed on a slope. The slope has angle θ related to horizontal. When the wheel is affected by a constant, known torque Tau in the centre of mass, the wheel begins rolling uphill.

http://sveskekat.dk/files/uploads/phys3.PNG

a) I need to draw a force diagram (free body diagram?) and find the acceleration of the wheel

b) The wheel starts at rest and rolls uphill. What is the angular momentum when the wheel has rolled one revolution?

Homework Equations

sum(Tau) = I * alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I did not attempt b) yet, so please disregard that one so far.

For a) I am thinking I can use sum(Tau) = I * alpha.
I did a calculation for I of the wheel, but doing so I assumed that the wheel has even density, and is a solid disk. I don't know if it is correct to assume this, but I tried it, and I then replaced sum(Tau) for Tau and alpha for alpha = a / R, and then solve for a.

But I think I need to use the angle θ of the slope somehow. I need suggestions.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your idea is right with respect to using τ to determine the angular acceleration α.

τ = I*α

You will need however to calculate a proper I based on the given that the wheel, while evenly distributed, is only distributed over the radial range of r to R.

∫ ρ*2πr*r² dr from r to R

(Solving the integral requires recognizing the total mass m is given by the mass area density ρ times the area of the ring which is π(R² - r²). )

For b) you know that

L = I*ω

and you should know from linear kinematics analogy that

Final-ω² = Initial-ω² + 2*α * x

where α is your angular acceleration and x is the distance in radians. (1 revolution is how many radians again?)

I would approach this problem by first drawing a force diagram or free body diagram of the wheel on the slope. This will help to visually represent all the forces acting on the wheel and determine their magnitudes and directions.

From the diagram, we can see that there are two main forces acting on the wheel: the weight of the wheel (mg) and the normal force from the slope (N). The weight acts downwards and the normal force acts perpendicular to the slope. Additionally, there is a torque (Tau) acting on the wheel at the center of mass, causing it to roll uphill.

Using the equation sum(Tau) = I * alpha, we can solve for the acceleration (a) of the wheel. However, we also need to take into account the angle of the slope (θ) in our calculation. We can do this by using the component of the weight and normal force that act parallel to the slope. This can be represented by mg*sin(θ) and N*cos(θ).

Our equation then becomes sum(Tau) = (I + mR^2)*alpha = (mg*sin(θ) - N*cos(θ)) * R.

Solving for alpha, we get alpha = (mg*sin(θ) - N*cos(θ)) * R / (I + mR^2).

This will give us the angular acceleration of the wheel. To find the linear acceleration (a), we can use the equation a = alpha * R, where R is the radius of the wheel.

For part b), we can use the equation for angular momentum, L = I * omega, where omega is the angular velocity of the wheel. Since the wheel starts at rest and rolls one revolution, we can use the equation L = mR^2 * omega = mR^2 * 2π / T, where T is the time it takes for the wheel to make one revolution. This will give us the angular momentum of the wheel after one revolution.

Overall, the key to solving this problem is to carefully consider all the forces and their components acting on the wheel and incorporating the angle of the slope in our calculations.

1. What is a force diagram?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It typically includes arrows representing the magnitude and direction of each force, and can be used to analyze the motion of the object.

2. How is angular momentum related to wheel rolling uphill?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. In the case of a wheel rolling uphill, the wheel's angular momentum is affected by the forces acting on it, such as the force of gravity and the force of friction.

3. Can a wheel roll uphill without any external force?

No, in order for a wheel to roll uphill, there must be an external force acting on it. This could be in the form of a person pushing the wheel or a slope that causes the wheel to move upwards.

4. What factors affect the force diagram and angular momentum of a rolling wheel?

The force diagram and angular momentum of a rolling wheel can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and size of the wheel, the surface it is rolling on, and the presence of external forces like friction and gravity.

5. How can the principles of wheel rolling uphill be applied in real-life situations?

The principles of wheel rolling uphill, including force diagrams and angular momentum, can be applied in various real-life situations such as understanding the motion of vehicles on inclined surfaces, analyzing the movement of gears in machinery, and predicting the behavior of rolling objects in sports and games.