When do I use y=Acoshx+Bsinhx?

• Thread starter yuze
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different equations to solve for a specific problem. The main focus is on the advantages and disadvantages of using either y=Ae^ux+Be^-ux or y=Acoshx + Bsinhx and the reasoning behind it. The conversation also touches on the use of different boundary conditions and how they affect the choice of equation.
yuze
When I have:
y''-yu^2=0

Why can't I just solve it using y=Ae^ux+Be^-ux ?
Is there any specific reason for me to use y=Acoshx + Bsinhx?

Also, for questions such as ut=uxx-u with BC u(0,t)=0 and u(L,t)=u1
When I am setting up u=v+w do I have to set V as Acoshx+Bsinhx?
I saw the solutions do that, but why can't I set V as u1x/L in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I am separating variables, my understanding is that I can use either +lambda^2 or -lambda^2 depending on how I want my Xn or Tn to look like based on what boundary conditions I have. Is this line of thinking correct?

For example:
u=XT
X''/X=T''/T=+/-lambda^2Sorry for so many questions at once.

Last edited:
If you have ##X'' - \mu^2 X=0## you may use either ##X = Ae^{\mu x} + Be^{-\mu x}## or ##X= A\cosh (\mu x) + B\sinh(\mu x)##. The advantage of one over the other is in solving for the constants with the boundary conditions. For example if you have ##X(0) = c## and ##X'(0)= d##, in the first case you would have$$X(0) = Ae^0 + Be^0 = A +B = c$$and in the second case you would have$$
X(0)= A\cosh(0) + B\sinh(0) = A\cdot 1 + B\cdot 0 = A = c$$So you already know ##A## and the second boundary condition will be easy to solve for ##B##. In the exponential case you have two linked equations in two unknowns and it will be slightly more work to solve for the constants.

Likes yuze
LCKurtz said:
If you have ##X'' - \mu^2 X=0## you may use either ##X = Ae^{\mu x} + Be^{-\mu x}## or ##X= A\cosh (\mu x) + B\sinh(\mu x)##. The advantage of one over the other is in solving for the constants with the boundary conditions. For example if you have ##X(0) = c## and ##X'(0)= d##, in the first case you would have$$X(0) = Ae^0 + Be^0 = A +B = c$$and in the second case you would have$$
X(0)= A\cosh(0) + B\sinh(0) = A\cdot 1 + B\cdot 0 = A = c$$So you already know ##A## and the second boundary condition will be easy to solve for ##B##. In the exponential case you have two linked equations in two unknowns and it will be slightly more work to solve for the constants.
I see, thanks!

1. When is it appropriate to use the hyperbolic functions cosh and sinh in a scientific calculation?

The hyperbolic functions cosh and sinh are commonly used in calculations involving exponential growth or decay, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They are also useful in solving problems involving conic sections and hyperbolic geometry.

2. How do I know when to use y=Acoshx+Bsinhx instead of the traditional y=Asinx+Bcosx?

The traditional trigonometric functions deal with circular motion, while the hyperbolic functions deal with hyperbolic motion. Therefore, if the problem involves circular motion, use traditional trigonometric functions. If it involves hyperbolic motion, use hyperbolic functions.

3. Can y=Acoshx+Bsinhx be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, y=Acoshx+Bsinhx can be used to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, population decline, and the charge-discharge cycles of capacitors.

4. What are the main differences between the hyperbolic functions cosh and sinh and the traditional trigonometric functions?

One of the main differences is that the hyperbolic functions are defined in terms of the exponential function, while the traditional trigonometric functions are defined in terms of the circular functions. Additionally, the hyperbolic functions are symmetric about the y-axis, while the traditional trigonometric functions are symmetric about the origin.

5. Are there any practical applications for y=Acoshx+Bsinhx in daily life?

Yes, y=Acoshx+Bsinhx has practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to model the motion of a mass on a spring or the motion of a pendulum. In economics, it can be used to model the growth or decline of a population or the depreciation of an asset over time.