1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When do I use y=Acoshx+Bsinhx?

1. Dec 5, 2014 #1
    When I have:
    y''-yu^2=0

Why can't I just solve it using y=Ae^ux+Be^-ux ?
    Is there any specific reason for me to use y=Acoshx + Bsinhx?

Also, for questions such as ut=uxx-u with BC u(0,t)=0 and u(L,t)=u1
    When I am setting up u=v+w do I have to set V as Acoshx+Bsinhx?
    I saw the solutions do that, but why can't I set V as u1x/L in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2
    When I am separating variables, my understanding is that I can use either +lambda^2 or -lambda^2 depending on how I want my Xn or Tn to look like based on what boundary conditions I have. Is this line of thinking correct?

For example:
    u=XT
    X''/X=T''/T=+/-lambda^2

Sorry for so many questions at once.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  4. Dec 5, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have ##X'' - \mu^2 X=0## you may use either ##X = Ae^{\mu x} + Be^{-\mu x}## or ##X= A\cosh (\mu x) + B\sinh(\mu x)##. The advantage of one over the other is in solving for the constants with the boundary conditions. For example if you have ##X(0) = c## and ##X'(0)= d##, in the first case you would have$$X(0) = Ae^0 + Be^0 = A +B = c$$and in the second case you would have$$
    X(0)= A\cosh(0) + B\sinh(0) = A\cdot 1 + B\cdot 0 = A = c$$So you already know ##A## and the second boundary condition will be easy to solve for ##B##. In the exponential case you have two linked equations in two unknowns and it will be slightly more work to solve for the constants.

5. Dec 5, 2014 #4
    I see, thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted