When is the work on a spring negative and when is it positive?

In summary, when it comes to a spring, the sign of work done depends on the direction of the spring force and the displacement of the object. When the force and displacement are in the same direction, work is positive, and when they are in opposite directions, work is negative. By Newton's 3rd law, both situations (work done by the spring and on the spring) are present, but usually we are looking at work done on the object by the spring.
PhyIsOhSoHard
I have a problem understanding whether a sign should be positive or negative when it comes to a spring.

In my book, there is an example with a glider attached to a spring, and the glider is moving away from the spring so it expands.
It says that in order to use the work-energy theorem, it has to be the work done by the spring on the glider, which is the negative of the following equation:

[itex]W=\frac{1}{2}mv_2^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2[/itex]

Can somebody explain the "work done by the spring" and "work done on the spring"? How do I know which situation I have?
Why is the work negative in this situation?
And if the glider went the opposite direction, towards the spring, would that mean the work-energy theorem is positive?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Direction of spring force is always against its extension . Since F = - kx if the this is opposite to instantaneous displacement of body then negative work is done or if it is along the displacement positive work is done

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
I have a problem understanding whether a sign should be positive or negative when it comes to a spring.
you are not alone.
In my book, there is an example with a glider attached to a spring, and the glider is moving away from the spring so it expands.
It says that in order to use the work-energy theorem, it has to be the work done by the spring on the glider, which is the negative of the following equation:

[itex]W=\frac{1}{2}mv_2^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2[/itex]
Yes, but that is confusing, isn't it?
Can somebody explain the "work done by the spring" and "work done on the spring"? How do I know which situation I have?
By Newton's 3rd law, you always have both situations, but usually you are looking at work done on the object by the spring.
Why is the work negative in this situation?
Work done on an object by a spring is negative when the displacement and force on the object are in opposite directions. When the glider is moving away from the spring, it is pulling on the spring, so by Newton 3, the the spring is pulling back on the glider. Since the force on the glider is back, but the displacement of the glider is forward, work done by the spring on the glider is negative.
And if the glider went the opposite direction, towards the spring, would that mean the work-energy theorem is positive?
Yes, the direction of the spring force on the object is back (it is pulling it back), and the glider is moving back, same direction, work is plus. It is often better to use conservation of energy equation rather than work-energy, since the plus/minus signs can be handled easier. But nonetheless, it is a good exercise using work-energy.

Likes 1 person

1. When is the work on a spring considered negative?

The work on a spring is considered negative when the force applied to the spring is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the spring is being compressed or stretched, resulting in a decrease in potential energy.

2. When is the work on a spring considered positive?

The work on a spring is considered positive when the force applied to the spring is in the same direction as the displacement. This means that the spring is being released or expanding, resulting in an increase in potential energy.

3. How is the direction of the work on a spring determined?

The direction of the work on a spring is determined by the direction of the force applied to the spring. If the force is in the same direction as the displacement, the work is positive. If the force is in the opposite direction, the work is negative.

4. Does the mass of the object attached to the spring affect the work done?

No, the mass of the object attached to the spring does not affect the work done on the spring. The work is solely determined by the displacement and the force applied to the spring.

5. How is the work on a spring related to the potential energy stored in the spring?

The work done on a spring is directly related to the potential energy stored in the spring. When work is done on the spring, it either increases or decreases the potential energy stored in the spring, depending on the direction of the force applied. This relationship is described by the formula W = 1/2*k*x^2, where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.