When to use negative sign ? [3 equations of motion]

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of positive and negative signs in solving physics problems involving vertical motion. It is explained that different sign conventions can be used, but it is recommended to stick with a standard one. The example of a body being released from another body moving upwards is used to illustrate the use of negative initial velocity and positive displacement. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the understanding is correct.
gaganspidey

Homework Statement

Example 3.13 :
14aledl.jpg

Example 3.1
2corn06.jpg

Homework Equations

v=u+at
S=ut+1/2at2
v2-u2=2aS

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is in front of me, that's ok but I have a confusion regarding negative & positive signs. In both the examples something is moving vertically upwards & in both cases something is released below to the ground, then why in Example 3.13 initial velocity of the stone is taken as u = +12m/s whereas in Example 3.1 u = -2m/s ?
Also in Example 3.13, displacement = -65 m, why ?
Please clear these doubts of mine in as much detail as possible so that I know which sign to use in which case.

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not matter which direction you put the + y axis. Usually, one uses up as + and down as -. Just choose a direction as + and the opposite direction will be -.

AM

gaganspidey said:
I know the solution is in front of me, that's ok but I have a confusion regarding negative & positive signs. In both the examples something is moving vertically upwards & in both cases something is released below to the ground, then why in Example 3.13 initial velocity of the stone is taken as u = +12m/s whereas in Example 3.1 u = -2m/s ?
They just used different sign conventions. In 3.13 they used up as the positive direction; in 3.1 they used down as positive.
Also in Example 3.13, displacement = -65 m, why ?
They are measuring the displacement from the starting point, which they call y = 0. (Where you set the origin of your coordinate system is arbitrary. You could also set the ground level to be y = 0, making your initial position y = 65 m.) So the final displacement is below that, thus -65 m.
Please clear these doubts of mine in as much detail as possible so that I know which sign to use in which case.
I recommend that until you are comfortable with arbitrary sign conventions you stick with a standard one: Let up be positive and down be negative. Why not solve 3.1 using that sign convention and see if you get the right answer?

@Doc Al

Oh I see ! Yes I get the same answer by taking upward as positive & downward as negative. Just that in this case we take u=-12m/s, s=65 & g=+9.8m/s2
Then why do they confuse us by using different sign conventions when sticking to a standard one does the job.

Thanks for your help too Andrew Mason !

One more thing, they say when a body is released from another body moving upwards, u will be negative [Taking upward as (-ve) & downward as (+ve)] because first it reaches the highest point, i.e, it slightly moves up & then proceeds falling downward. So in this case, we'll take u=(-ve), g =+9.8m/s2 & s = (+ve).

Am I right here ?

[hope its not a silly question :redface: ]

Last edited:
gaganspidey said:
One more thing, they say when a body is released from another body moving upwards, u will be negative [Taking upward as (-ve) & downward as (+ve)] because first it reaches the highest point, i.e, it slightly moves up & then proceeds falling downward. So in this case, we'll take u=(-ve), g =+9.8m/s2 & s = (+ve).

Am I right here ?
Sounds good to me. The first two--the acceleration and initial velocity--are unambiguous. The sign of the displacement depends on whether it ends up above or below the starting point. If it ends up below (like if it falls to the ground), then s will be positive.

^ Got it ! Thanks !

What is the purpose of a negative sign in equations of motion?

A negative sign in equations of motion indicates a change in direction or a decrease in magnitude. It is used to indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction or slowing down.

When should a negative sign be used in equations of motion?

A negative sign should be used when the initial and final positions or velocities are in opposite directions. It can also be used when the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

Why is a negative sign necessary in equations of motion?

A negative sign is necessary in equations of motion because it allows for the calculation of both positive and negative values, which are important in determining the direction of motion and changes in velocity.

Can a negative sign be ignored in equations of motion?

No, a negative sign cannot be ignored in equations of motion. Ignoring it would result in incorrect calculations and would not accurately represent the motion of the object.

How does a negative sign affect the interpretation of equations of motion?

A negative sign affects the interpretation of equations of motion by indicating the direction and magnitude of the change in position, velocity, or acceleration. It helps to determine whether the object is moving forward or backward, speeding up or slowing down.