When to Use Sin and Cos in Projectile Motion Calculations?

• Thread starter jensson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, the ball is thrown from an upper story window of a building and strikes the ground 2 seconds later. The ball reaches a point 10 meters below the level of launching at a height of 20 meters.
jensson

Homework Statement

This is a more general question... but here is a specific example in which I don't know why sin is used where it is and why cos is used where it is. I don't need the problem worked out or anything (I have it worked out by my professor), I just need to understand why sin and cos are used when they are.

A ball is tossed from an upper story window of a building. The ball is given an initial velocity of 8 m/s at an angle of 20 degrees below the horizontal. It strike the ground 2 seconds later. How far horizontally from the base of the building does the ball strike the ground? Find the height from which the ball was thrown. How long does it take the ball to reach a point 10 m below the level of launching?

Homework Equations

initial velcoity = 8 sin 20

y = initial y - 8 sin 20 (t) - 1/2 g t^2

v(y direction) = -8 sin 20 - gt

x = 8 cos 20 (t)

v(x direction) = 8 cos 20 (t)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pure geometry. Draw a triangle representing the initial velocity and you'll see why. The magnitude of the initial velocity is the hypotenuse of the triangle and the x and y components are the legs.

Initially, the velocity is at at angle of 20°.

So the initial vertical velocity is 8sin20 and the initial horizontal velocity is 8cos20.

It comes down to resolving vectors. Do you know how to do this?

initial velocity = 8 at 20 degrees below horizontal so
horizontal component Vx = 8*cos(20)
vertical component Vy = 8*sin(20) downward

Vertical part: y = initial y - 8 sin 20 (t) - 1/2 g t^2
v(y direction) = -8 sin 20 - gt

Horizontal part:
x = 8 cos 20 (t)

v(x direction) = 8 cos 20 [the (t) that was here is a mistake]

No, I don't know how to resolve vectors.. I'm taking calc I and physics concurrently so I'm a little behind. I also am not sure how to draw a triangle representing the initial velocity (or anything for that matter).

trig.jpg

Nice!

Okay, so I use cos in the x direction because the adjacent line to the angle known is in the x direction, and sin in the y direction because the opposite is in the y direction? This changes depending on the triangle and the angle known, yes?

Yes. At first you should use the definitions like cos A = adjacent/hypotenuse. After some practice you will be able to go straight to Vx = 8*cos(20).

Thank you so much!

Make sure you are using angles relative to the horizontal axis. Otherwise the roles reverse.

1. When should I use sin instead of cos?

Sin and cos are both trigonometric functions that represent the relationship between the sides of a right triangle and its angles. Sin represents the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle to the length of the hypotenuse, while cos represents the ratio of the length of the side adjacent to an angle to the length of the hypotenuse. Therefore, you should use sin when you are dealing with the side opposite to the angle and cos when you are dealing with the side adjacent to the angle.

2. Can I use sin or cos for non-right triangles?

No, sin and cos are specifically defined for right triangles. They cannot be used for non-right triangles because the ratio of the sides to the angles in a non-right triangle is not fixed like it is in a right triangle.

3. When do I use sin and cos in real-life applications?

Sin and cos are commonly used in real-life applications involving periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves. They are also used in engineering, physics, and navigation to calculate the relationships between angles and sides in different scenarios.

4. How do I determine whether to use sin or cos in a problem?

The best way to determine whether to use sin or cos in a problem is to first identify the angle and the side being referenced in the problem. If the angle is between the hypotenuse and the side being referenced, then use sin. If the angle is between the side being referenced and the adjacent side, then use cos.

5. Can I use sin and cos interchangeably?

No, sin and cos are two different trigonometric functions with distinct definitions and purposes. They cannot be used interchangeably, and using the wrong function can lead to incorrect results. It is important to understand when and how to use each function correctly.