When Will the Compass Hit the Ground?

In summary, the problem involves a hot-air balloon rising at a constant speed and dropping a compass from a certain height. Using the quadratic equation, a time of 0.014 seconds is found for the compass to hit the ground. However, further calculations for finding the range may have resulted in incorrect answers.
omc1

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon is rising upward with a constant speed of 2.51m/s. When the balloon is 3.01m above the ground, the balloonist accidentally drops a compass over the side of the balloon. How much time elapses before the compass hits the ground?

Homework Equations

y=ynot+vnotΔt+1/2aΔt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the quadratic equation to find t which was 0.014s
but i don't know where to go from here i have to find the rang but when i do that i get wrong answer

Physics news on Phys.org
actually iam getting the t to be 0.925s

wrong math on that ...now its right!

What causes a hot air balloon to rise?

A hot air balloon rises due to the principle of buoyancy. The hot air inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding air, causing it to be lighter and therefore rise.

How does a hot air balloon stay in the air?

A hot air balloon stays in the air by constantly heating the air inside the balloon. As long as the air inside remains hotter than the surrounding air, the balloon will continue to rise and stay afloat.

What are the factors that affect a hot air balloon's flight?

The factors that affect a hot air balloon's flight include the weight of the balloon, the amount of hot air inside, the temperature and wind conditions of the surrounding air, and the altitude of the balloon.

How high can a hot air balloon fly?

The maximum altitude a hot air balloon can reach is around 20,000 feet. However, most commercial hot air balloons typically fly between 1,000 and 3,000 feet.

Is it safe to ride in a hot air balloon?

When operated by a trained and experienced pilot, hot air balloon rides are generally considered safe. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions and instructions provided by the pilot to ensure a smooth and enjoyable ride.