Calculating Magnetic Field of a Solenoid: Where Did I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter lw11011
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding the magnetic field along the axis at the center of a solenoid given its length, turns, radius, and current using the formula B = \frac{\mu_0.I.N}{l}. The output should be in units of T and it was noted that the answer may have been incorrect if the computer program for homework marked it as such.
lw11011
A solenoid 77.1 cm long has 340 turns and a radius of 1.92 cm. If it carries a current of 1.85 A, find the magnetic field along the axis at its center. Answer in units of T.
I know the formula for the magnetic field is:
Magnetic field = permeability x turn density x current
I entered -
B=(1.25664x10^-6)(340/.771)(1.85)
Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic field = permeability x turn density x current

I think you could use this

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0.I.N}{l}[/tex]

Last edited:
ranger said:
I think you could use this

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0.I.N}{l}[/tex]

:tongue2: He DID use that formula. You just reproduced what he said in words using symbols.

lw11011 said:
Where did I go wrong?

Looks ok so far. What makes you think that you went wrong? You didn't even post an answer, so it is not at all clear from your post what the problem is.

cepheid said:
:tongue2: He DID use that formula. You just reproduced what he said in words using symbols.

:biggrin: I stand corrected :approve:

By using that formula I got the answer, 0.001 T. The computer program for our homework said the answer was wrong.

1. What factors can contribute to me going wrong in my experiment?

There are several factors that can lead to errors in your experiment, such as human error, equipment malfunction, incorrect calculations, and improper control of variables. It is important to carefully plan and conduct your experiment to minimize these potential sources of error.

2. How can I identify where I went wrong in my experiment?

To identify where you went wrong in your experiment, you can review your experimental procedures and data to see if there were any inconsistencies, errors, or deviations from your expected results. It can also be helpful to consult with colleagues or seek guidance from a mentor or supervisor.

3. What should I do if I realize I made a mistake in my experiment?

If you realize you made a mistake in your experiment, it is important to address the error as soon as possible. Depending on the severity of the mistake, you may need to repeat the experiment or make adjustments to your data analysis. It is important to be honest and transparent about any mistakes made in your research.

4. Can going wrong in an experiment be beneficial?

Yes, going wrong in an experiment can sometimes lead to unexpected or interesting results, which can open up new avenues for research and discovery. It is important to carefully document any unexpected outcomes and use them to further your understanding of the topic.

5. How can I prevent going wrong in future experiments?

To prevent going wrong in future experiments, it is important to carefully plan and design your experiment, use reliable equipment and techniques, and properly control variables. It can also be helpful to review previous experiments and learn from any mistakes or errors that were made.