Where does the magnetic field go for the electron?

In summary: No, that's not always necessary. Sometimes just orienting yourself in the direction of the current is enough. Sometimes just orienting yourself in the direction of the current is enough.
Amad27

Homework Statement

iVXeS.png

**Question** Is the magnetic field directed into the page or out of the page?

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

My index finger is pointing downwards, and since the magnetic force is towards the right and this is an electron (negative) my thumb should point left.

But then my middle finger [the magnetic field] points towards the page. But the actual answer is that the magnetic field is coming out the page?

Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amad27 said:

Homework Statement

iVXeS.png

**Question** Is the magnetic field directed into the page or out of the page?

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule

My index finger is pointing downwards, and since the magnetic force is towards the right and this is an electron (negative) my thumb should point left.

But then my middle finger [the magnetic field] points towards the page. But the actual answer is that the magnetic field is coming out the page?

Where am I wrong?
What is the sign of the charge of an electron? :smile:

The charge is negative, but I already accounted for that by flipping the force and pointing my thumb to the left?

Amad27 said:
The charge is negative, but I already accounted for that by flipping the force and pointing my thumb to the left?
I didn't quite understand your description of how you used your right hand to figure out the direction of the B-field and force.

For me, I point my fingers straight in the direction of qv, then curl them in the direction of B, and my thumb points in the direction of F = qv X B. So my fingers start pointing up the page first in the opposite direction of the electron velocity, I curl my fingers up out of the page toward a vertical B to get the force to the right to deflect the electrons.

Does that help?

berkeman said:
I didn't quite understand your description of how you used your right hand to figure out the direction of the B-field and force.

For me, I point my fingers straight in the direction of qv, then curl them in the direction of B, and my thumb points in the direction of F = qv X B. So my fingers start pointing up the page first in the opposite direction of the electron velocity, I curl my fingers up out of the page toward a vertical B to get the force to the right to deflect the electrons.

Does that help?

I am actually very unfamiliar with that right hand rule. I use this one:

jykOLZyTcOjR9MBPCwVA.png

So using this, I had the index pointing down and thumb pointing left, but that still had my middle finger pointing into the page?

That's the same as what I use. Just instead, I start with my fingers all pointing in the direction of the positive current (qv) and then curl them in the direction of the B field, and look where my thumb is pointing to get the direction of the force F = qv X B. If you put your hand like you show above, you should get the right answer for this problem.

Amad27 said:
I am actually very unfamiliar with that right hand rule. I use this one:

jykOLZyTcOjR9MBPCwVA.png

So using this, I had the index pointing down and thumb pointing left, but that still had my middle finger pointing into the page?

You just have to flip the magnetic field direction if you use the method above. So the current is downward the force is to the right and the magnetic field is going in the paper, However as it is a flow of electrons your reverse the magnetic field direction.

Another way is, when you have an electron. Use your left hand instead much much better and less painful XD

Amad27 said:
Why are you doing that? Lay the back of your hand on the page. That has your index finger pointing up in the opposite direction of the electron flow, your middle finger with the B field pointing up out of the page, and your thumb in the direction of the force to push the electrons to the right towards the "X" location.

berkeman said:
Why are you doing that? Lay the back of your hand on the page. That has your index finger pointing up in the opposite direction of the electron flow, your middle finger with the B field pointing up out of the page, and your thumb in the direction of the force to push the electrons to the right towards the "X" location.

Okay. I see this now.

So in general, should I always put the back of my hand on the page? For any problem?

And then for the electron, just flip the direction while keeping the others same?

Amad27 said:
So in general, should I always put the back of my hand on the page? For any problem?
Not necessarily -- just start with your fingers pointing in the direction of qv and go from there.
Amad27 said:
And then for the electron, just flip the direction while keeping the others same?
Same answer. :smile:

I see. qv is negative right? So that is why you flip the direction?

Amad27 said:
I see. qv is negative right? So that is why you flip the direction?
Yes, the charge q of the electron is negative, so that's why qv is in the opposite direction of the velocity v. :smile:

Amad27 said:

Where am I wrong?
Seems to me this should have given you the right answer. Make sure you use the right hand.

Of course berkeman's and Biker's ways are good, too.

Biker said:
You just have to flip the magnetic field direction if you use the method above. So the current is downward the force is to the right and the magnetic field is going in the paper, However as it is a flow of electrons your reverse the magnetic field direction.

Another way is, when you have an electron. Use your left hand instead much much better and less painful XD
In my experience, this is bad advice, IMO. Using your right hand to trace out the cross product is very reliable. You just need to understand the vectors that you are forming the cross product from.

1. Where does the magnetic field go for the electron?

The magnetic field for an electron is always present and surrounds the electron. The strength and direction of the magnetic field depends on the motion of the electron.

2. Does the magnetic field of an electron disappear when it is not moving?

No, the magnetic field of an electron is always present and does not disappear when the electron is not moving. However, the strength of the magnetic field may change depending on the motion of the electron.

3. How does the magnetic field of an electron interact with other magnetic fields?

The magnetic field of an electron can interact with other magnetic fields through a process called superposition. This means that the magnetic fields will combine and create a new overall magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field of an electron be turned off?

No, the magnetic field of an electron cannot be turned off as it is a fundamental property of the electron. However, the strength and direction of the magnetic field can be manipulated through various techniques.

5. Does the magnetic field of an electron have a specific shape?

The magnetic field of an electron does not have a specific shape, but rather extends infinitely in all directions around the electron. The strength of the magnetic field decreases as you move further away from the electron.