Where Does the Nonlinear Optics Wave Equation Come From?

In summary, the equation \nabla^2E - \frac{n^2}{c^2} \ \frac{d^2 E} {dt^2} = \frac{1}{\epsilon c^2} \ \frac{d^2P^{NL}}{dt^2} is derived from the cross product of Faraday's law and Ampere's law, with additional assumptions such as the E field being divergenceless. It is used in the description of nonlinear optical phenomena due to the presence of a time-varying polarization term, which can act as a source for new components of the electromagnetic field.
DanSandberg
From a textbook - The reason why the polarization plays a key role in the description of nonlinear optical phenomena is that a time-varying polarization can act as the source of new components of the electromagnetic field... the wave equation in nonlinear optical media often has the form:

[tex]\nabla[/tex] 2 E - [tex]\frac{n2}{c2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{d2E}{dt2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon c2}[/tex][tex]\frac{d2PNL}{dt2}[/tex]

This equation is given with no derivation or justification. Can someone explain where this comes from?

EDIT: I'm having a really hard time getting the equation to come out correctly on the website. Its nabla to the second power operating on the electric field E minus the second time derivative of E times n squared over c squared (where n is the linear refractive index and c is the speed of light) equal to 1 over epsilon c squared times the second time derivative of the polarization. I'll try to uplaod a photo of the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
See Boyd's book, section 2.

Can't offer help, but I think this is what the equation in the OP is supposed to be:

[tex]\nabla^2E - \frac{n^2}{c^2} \ \frac{d^2 E} {dt^2}
= \frac{1}{\epsilon c^2} \ \frac{d^2P^{NL}}{dt^2}[/tex]

Redbelly98 said:
Can't offer help, but I think this is what the equation in the OP is supposed to be:

[tex]\nabla^2E - \frac{n^2}{c^2} \ \frac{d^2 E} {dt^2}
= \frac{1}{\epsilon c^2} \ \frac{d^2P^{NL}}{dt^2}[/tex]

thats exactly it - i think maybe cause I am on a mac? or maybe cause I'm using firefox? I'll see if my linux machine does a better job.

You can click on the equation I wrote to see the correct LaTex code. For example, superscripts in LaTex are made using the "^" character, not the [noparse][/noparse] tags.

Other users with macs have been able to write LaTex equations.

It's pretty much the usual derivation of the wave equation, except with a nonlinear polarization term kept along for the ride. That is, take the cross product of Faraday's law, substitute in Ampere's Law, and simplify. You have to also assume that the E field is divergenceless (which is not strictly true here, but is what people do nonetheless).

Related to Where Does the Nonlinear Optics Wave Equation Come From?

What is nonlinear optics waveform?

Nonlinear optics waveform is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light in materials that have a nonlinear response to light. This means that the optical properties of the material change in response to the intensity of the light, leading to the generation of new frequencies and wavelengths.

How is nonlinear optics waveform different from linear optics?

Linear optics deals with the interaction of light with materials that have a linear response, meaning that the optical properties of the material do not change with the intensity of the light. Nonlinear optics, on the other hand, studies materials that have a nonlinear response, resulting in the generation of new frequencies and wavelengths.

What are some applications of nonlinear optics waveform?

Nonlinear optics waveform has a wide range of applications in various fields such as telecommunications, laser technology, and biomedical imaging. It is used in devices such as frequency converters, optical switches, and amplifiers.

What is the role of wave mixing in nonlinear optics waveform?

Wave mixing is the process of combining two or more waves to generate a new wave with different frequencies and wavelengths. In nonlinear optics, wave mixing plays a crucial role in the generation of new frequencies and wavelengths through the interaction of light with materials that have a nonlinear response.

What are the challenges in studying nonlinear optics waveform?

One of the main challenges in studying nonlinear optics waveform is the complex mathematical models required to describe the behavior of light in nonlinear materials. Another challenge is the difficulty in finding suitable materials with a strong nonlinear response, especially for specific frequencies and wavelengths.