Where does the phi come from in the charge of a capacitor in an LC circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation from the book University Physics 13e by Young and Freedman, specifically -L(di/dt)-q/C=0, which can be simplified to q''+(1/LC)q=0. The equation is for a homogeneous system and can be solved using standard methods, resulting in q=k1*cos(at) + k2*sin(at). However, in the book's formula, q=Q*cos(at + phi), there is no sine component. The speaker is seeking clarification on why this is the case.
thed0ctor
I'm reading University Physics 13e by Young and Freedman and we're given this equation:

-L(di/dt)-q/C=0

So we know that i, current, is, i=dq/dt. So the first equation can be read, after some simplification, as

q''+(1/LC)q=0

where q prime means the derivative of q (charge) with respect to time.

This is a homogeneous system so I figure solve it like anything else. So

s^2 = -(1/LC)
=>
s=i*(1/LC)^1/2... the i here is imaginary

let: a=(1/LC)^1/2

thus q=k1*cos(at) + k2*sin(at)

Yet in the formula in the book we end up with the formula:
q=Q*cos(at + phi)

with no sine...

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out:

s48fb6.jpg

This was inspired by the youtube video I found here.

1. Where does the phi come from in the charge of a capacitor in an LC circuit?

The phi in the charge of a capacitor in an LC circuit comes from the voltage across the capacitor and the angular frequency of the circuit.

2. How is the phi related to the charge of a capacitor in an LC circuit?

The phi is directly proportional to the charge of the capacitor in an LC circuit. As the charge increases, so does the phi.

3. What is the significance of phi in the charge of a capacitor in an LC circuit?

The phi represents the phase difference between the voltage and current in the LC circuit. It is a measure of how much the voltage and current are out of sync with each other.

4. Can the phi be negative in the charge of a capacitor in an LC circuit?

Yes, the phi can be negative in the charge of a capacitor in an LC circuit. This occurs when the voltage and current are out of phase by 180 degrees.

5. How does the phi affect the behavior of a capacitor in an LC circuit?

The phi plays a crucial role in the oscillating behavior of the capacitor in an LC circuit. It determines the frequency of the oscillations and can also affect the amplitude of the oscillations.