Where is the friction for the following situations?

• Thread starter jeevankasin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: Ans : Option (D)Another of my colleague says that when the trolley is being pushed, the frictional force acting on the wheels should be forward in the direction of motion and when it is released, the frictional force on the wheels should be backwards against the direction of motion as the trolley slows down. Ans : Option (B)In summary, the two colleagues have different views on the direction of friction when a trolley is being pushed and when it is released. One believes it should be backwards against the direction of motion in both cases, while the other believes it should be forward
jeevankasin
Hi All,

It would be great if you guys can help me out with this attached question.My colleague says that when the trolley is being pushed and when it is not being pushed, the friction should be backwards against the direction of motion. Ans : Option (D)

Another of my colleague says that when the trolley is being pushed, the frictional force acting on the wheels should be forward in the direction of motion and when it is released, the frictional force on the wheels should be backwards against the direction of motion as the trolley slows down. Ans : Option (B)

What are your views on this?

Thank you in advanceJeevan

Attachments

• Friction Questn.jpg
    Friction Questn.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
jeevankasin said:
Hi All,

It would be great if you guys can help me out with this attached question.My colleague says that when the trolley is being pushed and when it is not being pushed, the friction should be backwards against the direction of motion. Ans : Option (D)

Another of my colleague says that when the trolley is being pushed, the frictional force acting on the wheels should be forward in the direction of motion and when it is released, the frictional force on the wheels should be backwards against the direction of motion as the trolley slows down. Ans : Option (B)

What are your views on this?
You can easily figure this out if you do a free body diagram. A free body diagram shows all the forces (vectors) acting on the body, so the sum of the vectors is equal to the mass x acceleration of the body.

In the first case (being pushed), assume there is no acceleration (constant velocity). So the forces sum to zero. There are two forces, the pushing and the friction.

In the second case, there is acceleration. There is no pushing, just friction.

That should enable you to work out the directions of each force.

AM

Where is the friction on a sliding object?

The friction on a sliding object occurs at the point of contact between the object and the surface it is sliding on. This is known as the sliding friction or kinetic friction.

Where is the friction on a rolling object?

The friction on a rolling object occurs at the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on. This is known as the rolling friction or rolling resistance.

Where is the friction on a stationary object?

The friction on a stationary object occurs at the point of contact between the object and the surface it is resting on. This is known as the static friction.

Where is the friction on a moving car?

The friction on a moving car occurs at various points, such as the tires against the road, the engine parts, and the air resistance. These are known as rolling friction, sliding friction, and fluid friction, respectively.

Where is the friction on a spinning top?

The friction on a spinning top occurs at the point of contact between the bottom of the top and the surface it is spinning on. This is known as the static friction, as it prevents the top from sliding while it spins.