Which function is not one-to-one?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: So the function that is not one-to-one is G(X). In summary, G(X) is not a one-to-one function because it has repeated outputs. H(X) is the only function that is symmetrical about the origin, as it follows the rule of an odd function. To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test and see if the function intersects with the horizontal line more than once.
UrbanXrisis
There is a Math problem that I got wrong and I want to know why it’s wrong:

X...(–2)..(–1)..0...1...2
F(X) 1...(–2)..0.(–1)..2
G(X) 3...(–2)..0.(–2)..3
H(X) 1...(–3)..0...3.(–1)

Which function is not one-to-one? I put all of them but got it wrong
Which function is symmetrical about the origin? is it H(X)?

how would I know if something is one-to-one without graphing it?
What about if a function is symmetrical about the origin?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know if it is one-to-one if there is no duplicate value of "y".

Remember, the horizontal test? If it hits the graph twice when you test it as y=3, than there will be two solutions for x, when y=3. You do not want this.

Also, a function that is symmetrical about the origin is an odd function. An odd function is when f(-x)=-f(x).

I can barely tell what you wrote down. I don't see the significance of all the dots.

I am assuming that the top row is the values of x (domain), and the next three rows below are the range of the various functions.

By looking at F(x), we see that we none of the F(x) values are equal. Assuming that the function is just dots, than this function is one-to-one. If we must imagine a line being drawn from dot to dot, than it is NOT one-to-one.

EXPLAINED: We start at point (-2,1), then we go down to point (-1,-2) and then back up to (0,0). To go down then back up, we must have obviously intersected an horizontal line twice at any value F(x).

Try it. Draw a graph that goes up and down. Does it pass the Horizontal Line Test? Now, that draw the same graph of F(x) with no lines, and just the points given. Does this pass the Horizontal Line Test?

Of course, the question seems vague, but it also seems like you might have left something out.

Moving down the list of functions. G(x) has value -2 twice. Is this a one-to-one function? Of course not. Whether you draw the graph with lines or just points, it will fail the Horizontal Line Test.

Now, let's find the odd function. I am assuming you know what an odd function looks like on a graph. If not, graph the function f(x)=x.

Starting at F(x). If you are given the point (-2,1), than you must have point (2,-1).
Do you have that point?

I hope I helped out.

Note: I am pretty confident I answered it correctly, if there are mistakes I hope the next guy corrects me, so I can pick up from there.

Last edited:
"one to one" means no two different inputs give the same output. since the outputs are apparently listed in the rows, "not one to one" means the row which has repeated entries. that would be the second row, for G.

JasonRox said:
Also, a function that is symmetrical about the origin is an odd function. An odd function is when f(-x)=-f(x).

I agree on your definition of odd function, but I would have said that even functions (such as G in the example above) are the ones best called 'symmetrical.' Anybody?

Yes, I agree with you Janitor.

To be even more specific one-to-one functions don't have an inverse function, or atleast at the level I am at right now.

1. What does it mean for a function to be one-to-one?

A one-to-one function is a type of mathematical function where each input value (x) has a unique output value (y). This means that no two different inputs can have the same output. In other words, each x-value has only one corresponding y-value.

2. How can you determine if a function is one-to-one?

To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test. This involves drawing a horizontal line across the graph of the function. If the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. However, if the line only intersects the graph at one point, the function is one-to-one.

3. Can a function be both one-to-one and not one-to-one?

No, a function cannot be both one-to-one and not one-to-one. A function is either one-to-one or it is not. A function cannot have certain inputs that have unique outputs and other inputs that share the same output with another input.

4. What is an example of a function that is not one-to-one?

An example of a function that is not one-to-one is y = x^2. This function has multiple inputs (x) that have the same output (y). For example, both x = 2 and x = -2 have an output of y = 4.

5. Why is it important to know if a function is one-to-one or not?

Knowing if a function is one-to-one or not is important in many fields, especially in mathematics and engineering. One-to-one functions have unique inverse functions, making them useful in solving equations and finding solutions. Additionally, one-to-one functions are commonly used in data analysis and modeling to represent relationships between variables, and knowing if a function is one-to-one can ensure accurate results.