Which graphs represent different types of current flow?

In summary: Ah yes, it should be. Then number 4 will include graph C since it has an average of 0. Thank you for the lead.
jaximus

Homework Statement

(1) Name the waveform(s) that represent a periodical current flow.

(2) Name the waveform(s) that represent a direct current.

(3) Name the waveform(s) that represent a non-periodical alternating current.

(4) Name the waveform(s) that represent a current with a non-positive average

Each letter can be used more than once or not at all. I find some graphs to be very tricky and confusing. For example, graph A looks like a direct current graph but it goes below the 0 line a little, causing me to doubt it. Graph E and G are very weird graphs for me as well.

Homework Equations

No calculations required. Question only requires me to choose which graph fits which description.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers: 1) C, A, D
2) D, F
3) B, E, G
4) E

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 297
Physics news on Phys.org
jaximus said:

Homework Statement

screenshot_5-png[1].png

(1) Name the waveform(s) that represent a periodical current flow.

(2) Name the waveform(s) that represent a direct current.

(3) Name the waveform(s) that represent a non-periodical alternating current.

(4) Name the waveform(s) that represent a current with a non-positive average

Each letter can be used more than once or not at all. I find some graphs to be very tricky and confusing. For example, graph A looks like a direct current graph but it goes below the 0 line a little, causing me to doubt it. Graph E and G are very weird graphs for me as well.

Homework Equations

No calculations required. Question only requires me to choose which graph fits which description.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers: 1) C, A, D
2) D, F
3) B, E, G
4) E
Hello, @jaximus . Welcome to PF.

You did well to use the "UPLOAD" feature for your image.
I find it helpful for the full image to be shown in the post rather than just showing the thumbnail image, but other helpers may disagree with me.

As for your answers, I agree with all but 4), which should have one additional selection.

Attachments

• screenshot_5-png[1].png
    screenshot_5-png[1].png
    20.7 KB · Views: 205
SammyS said:
Hello, @jaximus . Welcome to PF.

You did well to use the "UPLOAD" feature for your image.
I find it helpful for the full image to be shown in the post rather than just showing the thumbnail image, but other helpers may disagree with me.

As for your answers, I agree with all but 4), which should have one additional selection.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for the advice SammyS.

jaximus said:
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for the advice SammyS.
OK.

As for answer 4.

If an average is zero, then it is non-negative, right?

SammyS said:
OK.

As for answer 4.

If an average is zero, then it is non-negative, right?
Ah yes, it should be. Then number 4 will include graph C since it has an average of 0. Thank you for the lead.

Likes SammyS

1. What are the different types of graphs?

The most common types of graphs are bar graphs, line graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and histograms. Each type of graph is used to display different types of data and can be chosen based on the specific information being conveyed.

2. How do I know which type of graph to use?

The type of graph to use depends on the data being presented and the purpose of the graph. Bar graphs are best for comparing data, line graphs are useful for showing trends over time, pie charts are effective for displaying percentages, scatter plots show relationships between variables, and histograms are used to show the distribution of data.

3. What is the difference between a bar graph and a histogram?

A bar graph displays categorical data using bars of different heights, while a histogram displays numerical data using bars of equal width. Bar graphs are useful for comparing data, while histograms show the distribution of data.

4. Can a line graph be used to show categorical data?

No, a line graph is best used for showing trends or changes over time with numerical data. Categorical data is better displayed using a bar graph.

5. How can I make my graph easy to read and understand?

To make your graph easy to understand, use clear labels and titles, choose appropriate scales and intervals, and use colors and symbols that are easily distinguishable. It is also important to provide a key or legend to explain any symbols or colors used in the graph.