What Integration Technique to Use for \int\sqrt{x^2-1}dx

• Thread starter Abraham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with solving an integral involving the expression \sqrt{x^2-1}. Multiple suggestions and hints are given, including using u-substitution, integration by parts, and substituting x as sec(u). The conversation also mentions the use of online resources for checking integration calculations.
Abraham

Homework Statement

Solve:

[tex]\int\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex]dx

Homework Equations

This is where I need help. What integration technique do I use? u-substitution? Integration by parts? None seem to work. As an added note, I've been trying to teach myself some calculus II work over the summer, so I just need a pointer in the right direction. Thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use u-substitution. I don't think this is the right method. Does anyone know the correct method? It got pretty messy, but I didn't get the right answer:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+1}[/tex]dx

u = [tex]x^{2}[/tex]+1
du = 2x
x = [tex]\sqrt{u-1}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{u}[/tex])([tex]\sqrt{u-1}[/tex]) du

= ? Is this the correct start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try tan(u) = x as the substitution.

Let I = [tex]\int\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex]dx

Try integrating by parts.

I = [tex]x\sqrt{x^2-1}dx[/tex] - [tex]\int x\x^{2} / \sqrt{x^2-1}dx[/tex]

See if you can carry on from here.

I KNOW this will work. Sub x as sec(u). Go on from there.

physicsnoob93 said:
I KNOW this will work. Sub x as sec(u). Go on from there.

What are you implying sir? I'm sure all of us here know how to complete the problem easily. I didn't want to solve the problem for him. Therefore I gave him a hint so that he could carry on from there.

anirudh215 said:
What are you implying sir? I'm sure all of us here know how to complete the problem easily. I didn't want to solve the problem for him. Therefore I gave him a hint so that he could carry on from there.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. And I didn't mean your hint was worthless.

physicsnoob93 said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

It's cool. :smile:

Related to What Integration Technique to Use for \int\sqrt{x^2-1}dx

1. What is integration technique?

Integration technique is a method used in mathematics to find the integral of a function. It involves finding a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. What are the different types of integration techniques?

The main types of integration techniques are substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, trigonometric substitution, and numerical integration.

3. Which integration technique should I use?

The integration technique to use depends on the form of the function you are trying to integrate. Some techniques work best for certain types of functions, so it is important to choose the appropriate technique for the given function.

4. How do I know if my integration is correct?

You can check your integration by differentiating the result and seeing if it gives the original function. You can also use online integration calculators or consult with a math tutor for confirmation.

5. Is integration technique difficult to learn?

Integration technique can be challenging to learn at first, but with practice and understanding of the fundamentals of calculus, it can become easier. It is important to understand the different techniques and when to use them to master the skill of integration.