Which of these molecules will form a micelle?

In summary, the formation of a micelle depends on the amphipathic nature of the molecules, with clear hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts. Options A, B, and C are likely to form micelles, while D, which has a benzene ring, may not have suitable properties for micelle formation. Longer tails are also important in micelle formation.
Zipzap

Homework Statement

Which of the following will form a micelle?
http://imgur.com/VFksg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for sure that A, B and C are going to be micelles, since both are amphipathic molecules. They have a clear hydrophilic and hydrophobic part.

As for D, I'm really unsure. I have a feeling that having the benzene ring somehow changes the properties of the molecule in a way that does not make it suitable to be a micelle?

Is this the correct answer? I have to hand this in 6 hours and this is the VERY LAST QUESTION on my report! Thanks to anybody who helps! =D

Physics news on Phys.org
LONG tails are a virtue when making micelles. Recheck your answers.

1. What is a micelle?

A micelle is a small spherical structure formed by the self-assembly of molecules in a solution. It is composed of a hydrophilic (water-loving) head and a hydrophobic (water-repelling) tail.

2. How do molecules form a micelle?

Molecules will form a micelle when the hydrophilic heads are attracted to water molecules and the hydrophobic tails are repelled by water molecules. This causes the molecules to arrange themselves in a spherical shape with the hydrophilic heads facing outwards and the hydrophobic tails facing inwards.

3. Which molecules are more likely to form a micelle?

Molecules with both hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts, such as surfactants, are more likely to form a micelle. This is because they have the ability to interact with both water and oil molecules, allowing them to form a stable structure in a solution.

4. Can any molecule form a micelle?

No, not all molecules can form a micelle. Molecules must have both hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts in order to form a micelle. Additionally, the concentration of the molecules in a solution and the environmental conditions, such as temperature and pH, can also affect the formation of micelles.

5. What are some examples of molecules that can form micelles?

Some examples of molecules that can form micelles include surfactants, phospholipids, and bile acids. Surfactants are commonly used in soaps and detergents, while phospholipids make up the cell membrane in living organisms. Bile acids are produced by the liver and help with the digestion of fats in the small intestine.