Which QFT book is better? Peskin & Shroder or Weinberg?

In summary, the two books being discussed are Peskin & Schroder and Weinberg's books on quantum field theory. While P&S covers canonical quantization of QED, Weinberg's book takes a different approach and starts with the general principles of QM and SR before discussing quantum fields and interactions. The book also does not cover canonical quantization until later chapters. Some alternative books mentioned are Mandl & Shaw, Srednicki, and Zee, with Zee's book being recommended as a supplement to Srednicki's.
petergreat
The title is my question. What are the relative merits of the two books? I've only read part of Peskin & Schroder, and one of my complaints is that the book doesn't cover canonical quantization of QED which I need for my course. I don't know much about Weinberg's book, but it seems to be have more in-depth discussions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Weinberg's approach is very different. He starts with a discussion of the general principles of QM and SR, and how combining the two leads to the concept of non-interacting particles. Then he starts talking about creation/annihilation operators and how to combine them into quantum fields. Those fields are used to define interactions. When he derives the Feynman rules for an arbitrary QFT with interactions, he still hasn't said anything about canonical quantization. I think that doesn't appear until chapter 7.

If you need a book that's a lot like P&S, you might want to consider Mandl & Shaw. Other popular choices are Srednicki, and Zee. The latter starts with the path integral approach right away.

Last edited:
Zee strikes me as a book to read after you've already had the "traditional" introduction to the subject.

I think Srednicki might make a good text if supplemented with, say, the Itzykson & Zuber (inexepensive Dover edition) for background reading.

1. Which book is better for beginners - Peskin & Shroder or Weinberg?

Both Peskin & Shroder and Weinberg are considered advanced textbooks on quantum field theory (QFT), so neither is particularly suitable for beginners. However, Peskin & Shroder may be easier to understand for those with a basic background in QFT, while Weinberg may be more challenging.

2. Does one book cover more material than the other?

Peskin & Shroder covers a wide range of topics in QFT, including perturbation theory, renormalization, and gauge theories. However, Weinberg's book goes into more depth and also covers topics such as quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics.

3. Which book is more mathematically rigorous?

Weinberg's book is generally considered to be more mathematically rigorous, with more detailed explanations and derivations. However, Peskin & Shroder also provide a solid mathematical foundation for understanding QFT.

4. Are there major differences in the writing style between the two books?

Both books are well-written and clear, but there are some differences in the writing style. Peskin & Shroder tend to use more diagrams and illustrations to explain concepts, while Weinberg's writing is more formal and mathematical.

5. Can I use both books as references or do I need to choose one?

Both books can be used as references, but they have different strengths. Peskin & Shroder is a good resource for learning the basics of QFT, while Weinberg's book is better for delving deeper into specific topics. It may be beneficial to use both books as complementary resources.