Which rate of Universe expansion are we currently using?

In summary, there have been multiple studies measuring the rate of expansion of the universe, with results ranging from 67 to 74 km/s/Mpc. The latest data from the Hubble telescope suggests a lower possibility of the discrepancy being a fluke. However, for large scales, the 2018 Planck Collaboration data set with a rate of 67.4 km/s/Mpc is still being used. It is important to note that the whole data set is consistent with the LCDM model and cannot be changed without affecting other parameters. The results from different experiments are usually combined, but in cases of disconnect, separate results may be published. Some people use the Hubble result, some use the Planck result, and others use both
HankDorsett
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Including the most recent study I've heard about 3 different rates
The rates I've come across are 67, 71 and 74. Obviously it's not 74 as it was just announced. Is it one of these other numbers, something else? I'm only asking out of curiosity.

Space news on Phys.org
HankDorsett said:
Obviously it's not 74 as it was just announced.

That's not necessarily correct as the latest Hubble data lowers the possibility that the recently calculated discrepancy is only a fluke to 1 in 100,000.

Tghu Verd said:
That's not necessarily correct as the latest Hubble data lowers the possibility that the recently calculated discrepancy is only a fluke to 1 in 100,000.
it's quite possible I have an incorrect assumption here. For some reason I thought we use this rate to help calculate other things. Age of the universe? Distance?

Tghu Verd said:
Mostly distance as I understand the objective, as part of the "cosmic distance ladder" methods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_distance_ladder
That's partially where my question was coming from. I think we got 67 from an original study that measured CMB. I think a 2001 study using stars gave us 71. After the release of the 2001 study did we switch over to it or stick with the original calculations?

HankDorsett said:
That's partially where my question was coming from. I think we got 67 from an original study that measured CMB. I think a 2001 study using stars gave us 71. After the release of the 2001 study did we switch over to it or stick with the original calculations?
For large scales I think we are still using the 2018 Planck Collaboration data set, with ##H_0=67.4## +- 0.5 km/s/Mpc. One must remember that the whole dataset as a unit is consistent with the LCDM model and one cannot just change one parameter, like ##H_0##, without changing at least some of the rest.

Last edited:
Likes HankDorsett
Jorrie said:
For large scales I think we are still using the 2018 Planck Collaboration data set, with ##H_0=67.4## +- 0.5 km/s/Mpc. One must remember that the whole dataset as a unit is consistent with the LCDM model and one cannot just change one parameter, like ##H_0##, without changing at least some of the rest.
Thanks for your response and providing the link. Although I wasn't able to understand much of what the link talked about it did show me something. The more you learn the more you realize you need to learn.

HankDorsett said:
Summary: Including the most recent study I've heard about 3 different rates

The rates I've come across are 67, 71 and 74. Obviously it's not 74 as it was just announced. Is it one of these other numbers, something else? I'm only asking out of curiosity.
It really depends. Usually the way this is done in actual data analysis is to simply combine the error constraints of the different experiments together to provide a combined result. When there's a disconnect between different data sets, they may publish separate results which are combined with each.

Honestly, I think the best answer is, "We don't know, so we don't try to settle on either result."

And if you are only using the ##H_0## constraint, usually redoing some data analysis with a different input value of ##H_0## is as simple as pushing a button, so there's no real reason to only consider one of them.

It depends on who you mean by "we". Some people use the Hubble result, some people use the Planck result, and the people involved in this topic use both (plus the other measurements) and compare the results. For the expansion now the Hubble results should be more reliable, for things that happened in the early universe the Planck results will be better.

Thanks for all of your replies. By chance, can someone provide links to the studies surrounding this rate? As I was catching up to this post I was wondering how cool would it have been to be a fly on the wall as they went through these studies.

1. What is the current rate of Universe expansion?

The current rate of Universe expansion is known as the Hubble constant, which is estimated to be 70.4 kilometers per second per megaparsec. This means that for every megaparsec (3.26 million light years) of distance, the Universe is expanding by 70.4 kilometers per second.

2. How is the rate of Universe expansion measured?

The rate of Universe expansion is measured using a variety of methods, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distances and redshifts of galaxies, and the brightness of certain types of stars. These measurements are then combined to calculate the Hubble constant.

3. Has the rate of Universe expansion changed over time?

While the rate of Universe expansion has been relatively constant over the past few billion years, recent observations have suggested that the expansion may be accelerating. This is thought to be due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the expansion of the Universe to speed up.

4. How accurate is our current understanding of the rate of Universe expansion?

The current estimate of the Hubble constant has an uncertainty of about 1.9%, which is relatively small compared to previous measurements. However, there is still ongoing research and debate about the exact value of the Hubble constant, and it is possible that our understanding of the rate of Universe expansion may change in the future with new observations and data.

5. Why is it important to know the rate of Universe expansion?

Understanding the rate of Universe expansion is crucial for our understanding of the history and future of the Universe. It can also help us determine the age of the Universe and the amount of matter and energy it contains. Additionally, studying the rate of Universe expansion can provide insights into the nature of dark energy and the ultimate fate of the Universe.