Which tank fills first

• I
  • Thread starter fahraynk
  • Start date
sorry i only read first and last page here so if its been explained aldready forgive me

my thoughts is L would fill up and be the only one to do so due to the "pressure?"

cause watter will fill the botoms as needed then "bleed out" till certian capacities are met

F is lower but bottom filling
F would get only so full before the pressure starts equaling tween L and F
(pipe gets full then needs higher pressure from L to push water into F)
meaning L needs to get fuller for the pressure to push the water up into tank F

so in my thinking L would over flow before F, meaning L is full first
and overflow means F wont get any fuller, nor will watter continue to fill any previous tanks

also i know that the answer is some formulae of hydrolics, but please explain it in laymans terms

oh... i looked at the spoiler answer on first page, now it makes sence a bit more
how F fills, but would i be correct in my thinking if L and F were same height?
(cause L being placed higher means the water level dosent need to be higher to push into F
and its that placement of L that dictates the results in this setup)

Last edited:
A or F depending how fast the water is flowing from the faucet and what it means to "fill up". Assuming dripping and completely filled, F. The latter definitions give A, but do not seem to be what OP is looking for.

EDIT: I am surprised no one has brought up the fact A is directly under the faucet hence the first water from the faucet will "fill" this bucket first.

Last edited:
View attachment 208203
So even in the small pipe connecting J to I, the water level is going to be the same as the height of water in the tank J.

Is this correct?
Yes.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
EDIT: I am surprised no one has brought up the fact A is directly under the faucet hence the first water from the faucet will "fill" this bucket first.
No need for surprise. Read the thread to find the discussion you expect.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
any waters goes to A first and 'fills it up' regardless of flow rate of A.
We have been there several times in this thread. "Filling up" was clearly(?) to do with a bucket becoming 'Full" - same as Boiling a Kettle does not happen within seconds of it being switched on.
Why can't this just lie down and die?

Likes Nidum, 256bits and jbriggs444
We have been there several times in this thread. "Filling up" was clearly(?) to do with a bucket becoming 'Full" - same as Boiling a Kettle does not happen within seconds of it being switched on.
It was asserted numerous times (never by OP), but never explicitly given.
Why not unwatch the thread if you want it to die?

The point is this was not supposed to be a science question in the first place. It was designed just to test how closely the candidate observes the setup and whether he manages to evade the trickery. In fact there is a real possibility that any tank except the ones that have been shut out: D, E, G and H can fill up and in any sequence depending upon dimensions, material properties, fluid properties, flow rates. Some may never fill up.

Likes Nidum and sophiecentaur
Think of the problem as a hydraulic open circuit pumped by pressure in tank A and all other tanks as accumulators along the line. Even if you assume all accumulators to be of similar construction and all pipes to be frictionless, you need some more details such as the lengths of the pipes and ratio of cross section area of the tank to the inflow rate to be able to comment on which accumulator gets most pressure. Then you can use some industrial software and simulate.

The point is this was not supposed to be a science question in the first place. It was designed just to test how closely the candidate observes the setup and whether he manages to evade the trickery.
Is it not possible the trickery is the assumption that "fill up" does not necessarily imply filling up all of the way?

Tom.G
Science Advisor
After just running across this and reading the whole thread, there seems to be at least three answers.
1) Newcomers don't read the whole thread
2) Different people start off with slightly different assumptions
3) Some posters seem to feel that showing themselves to be 'right' is the main point of participation

As for the third observation, I am not pointing at those that brought up and supported other possible interpretations/starting assumptions. I point more to those that refused to consider that those other interpretations/starting assumptions could be valid. At the risk of being ostracized, there seems to be a few of us scattered throughout PF that are guilty. Unfortunately, we don't always recognize when we fall into that trap.

Well, that's my two cents worth.

Tom

Likes Dadface and fresh_42
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@Tom.G That just about sums it up and we are all guilty of 1,2 and 3.
My problem is when people read the OP and failed to see it for what it is - a 'fun' / intelligence-test / common-sense type of question. It absolutely screams "Not Technical" at you and it is not a vehicle for being a smartypants and bringing in Physics to it. That's only really ok if the Full set of assumptions in a smartypants answer is made clear, from the start. This never happens, of course and we end up shouting at each other in quadrature.

jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is it not possible the trickery is the assumption that "fill up" does not necessarily imply filling up all of the way?
Do you seriously think this problem is meant as a grammar exercise? Well, let's go with it. Here's what I found as relevant definitions:
fill (third-person singular simple present fills, present participle filling, simple past and past participle filled)
  1. (transitive) To occupy fully, to take up all of.
  2. (transitive) To add contents to (a container, cavity or the like) so that it is full.
  3. To enter (something), making it full.
  4. (intransitive) To become full. the bucket filled with rain; the sails fill with wind

Now that we have obviously and utterly discussed every aspect of this riddle, I will close this thread. Off-topic posts and jokes have recently become more likely than anything new to the problem. To all who are still interested in the debate, I suggest to post a new riddle of the kind (or a similar one), as I'm almost certain there can be found many on the internet (and even in our archive).

Thread closed.

Likes Tom.G, davenn, jbriggs444 and 4 others