Which technique of integration would I use.

• Thread starter mickellowery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses using u-substitution to solve the integral of (9x^2)/(1+x^6) dx. The individual tries different substitutions such as u=x^6 and u=9x^2, but ultimately solves it by using u=x^3.
mickellowery

Homework Statement

∫(9x^2)/(1+x^6 ) dx I was thinking of using U substitution but I can't figure it out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You actually could use u-substitution here. You just need to figure out...

what function would have as it's derivative something that will cancel out when I u-sub?

Now, what seems most easily canceled out here is the x^2 dx... so maybe if we had something like

[tex]du=x^2 dx[/tex]

with an appropriate coefficient, it could make the integral a lot easier.

What have you tried? There aren't a lot of possibilities.

I tried to let u=x^6 which made du 6x^5. This didn't get me anywhere. I also tried letting u= 9x^2 and that also got me nowhere.

That's because it won't work if you do that. Try letting du = 9x^2 dx instead. That will get you farther. You just need to solve for u instead of solving for du.

Oh alright I've got it now! Thanks so much.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve. It involves finding the anti-derivative of a function and using it to calculate the area between the function and the x-axis.

2. Why do we need integration?

Integration is an important tool in mathematics and science because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, accumulation, and optimization. It is also essential in many engineering and physics applications.

3. How many techniques of integration are there?

There are several techniques of integration, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and using tables of integrals. The choice of technique depends on the form of the function being integrated and the problem at hand.

4. Which technique of integration should I use?

The choice of technique depends on the form of the function being integrated. For example, substitution is useful for functions involving nested functions, integration by parts is useful for products of functions, and trigonometric substitution is useful for functions involving trigonometric functions. It is important to carefully analyze the function and choose the most appropriate technique.

5. Can I use more than one technique of integration?

Yes, it is common to use multiple techniques of integration in a single problem. Sometimes, a combination of techniques is necessary to solve a problem. It is important to be familiar with all the techniques and know when to apply them.