Solving Line Integrals: A Puzzling Problem

In summary, The problem requires the integration of two functions, with an unknown curve to be transversed counterclockwise as the boundary of the region bounded by the graphs of y=x^2 and y=x^3. The boundaries of the curve are determined to be 0 and 1, and the solution involves parameterizing and integrating the given functions.
duki

Homework Statement

[tex]\int _c{(x^2 + y + \sqrt{x})dx + (y - x^2 + \sin{y}) dy[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure which theorem to use here. Do I use Green's or the Divergence? Even once I get past this I'm not sure that I can get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
What curve are you supposed to integrate over?

Oops!

C is the curve transversed counterclockwise which is the boundary of the region bounded by the graphs of [tex] y = x^2 [/tex] and [tex] y = x^3 [/tex]

duki said:
Oops!

C is the curve transversed counterclockwise which is the boundary of the region bounded by the graphs of [tex] y = x^2 [/tex] and [tex] y = x^3 [/tex]

Parameterize that curve (you'll have to do it piecewise or separate it into two curves) and then follow the same procedure as in your previous path integral question...

The part I'm concerned about is the boundaries... How do I find those?

Where does [itex]y=x^2[/itex] intersect [itex]y=x^3[/itex]?

0 and 1?

Yep.:smile:...So draw your y=x^2 and y=x^3 graphs from x=0 to x=1 to get an idea of what your curve looks like. Then parameterize it and integrate.

Groovy.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path. It involves integrating a function over a curve in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How do you solve a line integral?

To solve a line integral, you first need to define the curve or path over which you will integrate the function. Then, you can use various techniques such as parameterization, Green's theorem, or the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral.

3. What are the applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate work, mass flow, electric and magnetic fields, and other physical quantities along a path.

4. What are some common challenges when solving line integrals?

Some common challenges when solving line integrals include choosing the appropriate path of integration, determining the correct parameterization, and dealing with complex functions or curves. It is also important to be familiar with various techniques and theorems to solve different types of line integrals.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving line integrals?

The best way to improve your skills in solving line integrals is through practice. Try solving a variety of problems using different techniques and theorems. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to understand the concepts better.