Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
One for the holidays:

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
From the White Album, one of the best albums ever made in my opinion.

Likes Spinnor, pinball1970 and fresh_42

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN

Something a bit xmassy for the non Maria Carey fan

I think this was released at Xmas

Likes Spinnor
And this

He fluffs a note at the end on the solo but still a lovely little tune

I knew was something nice going on with chords on this but could not work them out as the sound was very synth watery like.

Summer began in the southern hemisphere and the days are getting longer "up" here.

Likes BillTre
Like the lead guitar starting at 2:22.

Edit, first result of search below, The Youngbloods, Darkness Darkness.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=darkness+darkness

lyrics from, https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/138931/

Darkness darkness, be my pillow
Take my head and let me sleep
In the coolness of your shadow
In the silence of your dream

Darkness darkness, hide my yearning
For the things that cannot be
Keep my mind from constant turning
Towards the things I cannot see now
Towards the things I cannot see now
The things I cannot see now

Darkness darkness, long and lonesome
Is the day brings me here
I have found the edge of sadness
I have known the depths of fear

Darkness darkness, be my blanket
Cover my with the endless night
Take away away the pain of knowing
Fill the emptiness of right now
The emptiness of right now

Darkness darkness, be my pillow
Take my head and let me sleep
In the coolness of my shadow
In the silence of my dream

Darkness darkness, be my blanket
Cover my with the endless night
Take away away the pain of knowing
In the emptiness of right now
In the emptiness of right now

Last edited:
Likes DennisN

I just heard this song and I think it was awesome, I instantly fell in love with it!
It's a Scottish band called CHRVCHES. I got the suggestion from one of my subscribers (who is a big fan of Sigrid like me) on my live music youtube channel.

The vocals here remind me a bit of Kate Bush, actually, @pinball1970 ...

CHVRCHES - Never Ending Circles (lyric video)

And here's another good and quite suggestive song I recently discovered (it was another one of my subscribers who suggested it)...
I like it a lot:

CLOVES - Don't Forget About Me (Official Video)

DennisN said:
It's a Scottish band called CHRVCHES.
Darn, this Scottish band is just great, how can I have missed them before?
I just now discovered this song by them, great songwriting, and sublime, heavenly vocals:

CHVRCHES - Heaven/Hell

DennisN said:
I just heard this song and I think it was awesome, I instantly fell in love with it!
It's a Scottish band called CHRVCHES. I got the suggestion from one of my subscribers (who is a big fan of Sigrid like me) on my live music youtube channel.

CHVRCHES - Never Ending Circles (lyric video)

I listened to this twice, her voice sounds slightly produced I would have to hear her live.
Her range is a little lower, more Ariana Grande in sound.
Nice tune though!

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
I listened to this twice, her voice sounds slightly produced I would have to hear her live.
I agree, I've listened to quite many of their songs today, both produced and live. But I think they are very good live too, at least judging from what I've heard so far.

Spinnor said:

Amazing.
The story of his playing is interesting too.

Spinnor said:
Like the lead guitar starting at 2:22.

Edit, first result of search below, The Youngbloods, Darkness Darkness.
A very cool song! With quite a strange mix of genres, sounded like folk music meeting 70s psychedelic rock. That song must have been made in the 1970s.

Edit: No, it's from 1969. And on Wikipedia it was categorized as Folk rock, psychedelic folk, so I was pretty close. :smile:

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
I found a very nice live performance of the song today:

Never Ending Circles (Reading Festival 2016) CHVRCHES Live
I'm already a fan of them, they won me over instantly, so will remaster the sound and upload it to my own live music channel, probably today. :smile:

Likes pinball1970
DennisN said:
Haha, quote from wikipedia : "They are also were influenced by acts such as ... Kate Bush ...".

Another Scottish band I liked during a period in the 80s was Simple Minds, and here's a wonderful live version of "New Gold Dream":

Original is here.

And I found an even better live performance of Chrvches' "Never Ending Circles" which I remastered the sound on and uploaded just a while ago, gosh I just love it:

CHVRCHES - Never Ending Circles (Live at iHeartRadio 2018, remastered)

Happy new 2020, lovers of music! :smile:
I hope of hearing more good songs in this thread during this year.
And I also hope this year will be a great music year. I personally plan to see many good artists live.
And this band is now on my personal "artists to see live" list : :smile:

Chvrches performs "Clearest Blue" from Central Park Summerstage, New York

DennisN said:
I personally plan to see many good artists live.
Strap on a body cam and take us along, :partytime:

Be nice if the cam had great sound recording as well.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
I've recently discovered the very talented singer/songwriter Billie Eilish,
I've just seen this fun Carpool Karaoke with Billie Eilish and James Corden. Wow, she sounds great singing in a car without any effects... :smile: And she sings and plays a lovely snippet of "I will" by The Beatles at 5:00. I wish she wouldn't have stopped, it sounded wonderful.

Likes Spinnor
This is currently one of my favorite songs by Billie Eilish. It's a slow and sad one, but I think it is so beautiful and well done. Great melodies, hooks and lyrics and great singing. It gets a 10 out of 10 by me :biggrin:.

Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over

DennisN said:
I've recently discovered the very talented singer/songwriter Billie Eilish
I just saw on the wikipedia main page that Billie Eilish got a grand slam at the Grammy Awards 2020, she won the major categories:
  • Album of the Year
  • Best Pop Vocal Album
  • Record of the Year
  • Song of the Year ("Bad Guy")
  • Best New Artist
She was also nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance. Congratulations, Billie! I am very, very impressed. Well, I already was impressed before she won these prizes, actually. :smile:

Billie Eilish - bad guy

Last edited:
The same song brings the same outrage 50 years later. Thank you Mr Zimmerman.

Likes collinsmark, BillTre and DennisN
I know DennisN has mentioned Billie Eilish a few times. Many of her other tunes have been getting a lot of publicity, but when I first bought her album, the track that stood out to me was "I Love You". Over the many months that I've listened to it, it has definitely grown on me, and now I consider it as one of my all-time favorites. The music, lyrics, and singing are just spot on with loads of emotional punch, especially considering that it is performed with such quiet elegance.

She has performed this with her brother a few times, including a performance on Saturday Night Live. But here's a video of the song performed at the Greek Theater.

Zz.

Likes DennisN
"Money For Nothing" is a classic, iconic song by Dire Straits, and I recently saw a fun video in which Mark Knopfler told about the background to the song. He overheard a worker in a kitchen appliances store complaining about music artists playing on MTV, and Knopfler hid behind some goods and wrote down the things the worker was saying. :smile: Here is that clip about the song.
The entire video is good by the way, it is about Knopfler's five favorite guitars.

And this is another great video where Knopfler talks about guitars and guitar playing, and in which he displays his formidable skills with the instruments :)):
The video for "Money For Nothing" was the first video to be shown on MTV in the UK. And the video and the lyrics make more sense if you know the backstory. By the way, Sting did the intro vocals and backing vocals.

And here's a live version of "Money For Nothing" with four legends, Mark Knopfler on lead guitar and vocals, Sting on backing vocals, Eric Clapton on rhythm guitar and Phil Collins on drums! :smile:

Likes BillTre and OCR
fresh_42 said:
Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.
Actually, I have never really cared much for that one. . . . 😞

What really turns me on though, are. . .Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt. . . . 😃