Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
rokytnji said:

I think it's rather cool that they are playing electric guitars in a sand dune, with camels etc.

However, I need to check out the translation before I get enthusiastic. I have no idea what they are saying.

Do you know Fairouz? She is amazing. It's hard not to love a beautiful love song.

This one is my favorite. I first heard it in French. I think it was an international hit for some time. A guy told me it's originally a Lebanese song. I looked into it, and that is when I discovered Fairouz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rokytnji said:

Great musicians. Another group I've just learned about on PF.

Here's one I have in my personal collection.

Music from the homeland.

Likes Craftek_Ana
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Music from the homeland.
Interesting... I've had those two versions of, " I Heard The Bluebirds Sing " bookmarked for maybe a year or more... . :oldcool:

Try this song on for size... . :wink:

Here's, more or less, the regular version... . :smile:PS: Check the comment by Al W, and the other seven...

Jerry Garcia

Pedal steel guitar

Last edited:
Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
OCR said:
Interesting... I've had those two versions of, " I Heard The Bluebirds Sing " bookmarked for maybe a year or more... . :oldcool:

Try this song on for size... . :wink:

Here's, more or less, the regular version... . :smile:PS: Check the comment by Al W, and the other seven...

Jerry Garcia

Pedal steel guitar

"Teach Your Children Well" is my favorite CS&N song. I'm actually not a fan in general, but I like this song.

I have my own personal connections to WV. I think it's unique. As they say, "mountaineers are free." But I feel a kinship to all of Appalachia, because of my family connections. It's definitely not the place for everyone, which frankly is a good thing. :)

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I think it's rather cool that they are playing electric guitars in a sand dune, with camels etc.

However, I need to check out the translation before I get enthusiastic. I have no idea what they are saying.

Do you know Fairouz? She is amazing. It's hard not to love a beautiful love song.

This one is my favorite. I first heard it in French. I think it was an international hit for some time. A guy told me it's originally a Lebanese song. I looked into it, and that is when I discovered Fairouz.

After listening to these Fairouz songs again, the magic seems to have worn off. I was going to delete them, but the time limit ran out. Oh well, such is music. When I was a kid I loved Abba for a while. Now, I never listen to them, even though I have every one of their CDs.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Bonus: I recently a saw a couple of clips from an interview with Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumpkins, and it was one of the most interesting interviews with a music artist I have ever seen. He was very open and talkative about things in the music business which are not so often talked about, and quite fun to listen to in my opinion, and here are the clips:
EDIT:
Oh, and I saw youtube just suggested the entire interview to me, thank you, youtube, here it is:

Last edited:
Eva Cassidy - Over The Rainbow

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/sastanàqqàm-i-question-you.html

Being a desert creature myself. I can relate to those Taureg Lyrics. Last year around this time.
I was camping in the Hills of WV over at Canaan Valley. Spent a week there.

DennisN said:
Eva Cassidy - Over The Rainbow

Looks like Samantha Bee:
beesamantha2_053118getty.jpg

Attachments

• beesamantha2_053118getty.jpg
    beesamantha2_053118getty.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 442
Likes DennisN
rokytnji said:
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/sastanàqqàm-i-question-you.html

Being a desert creature myself. I can relate to those Taureg Lyrics. Last year around this time.
I was camping in the Hills of WV over at Canaan Valley. Spent a week there.

Congratulations on avoiding the hunting accidents, deadly snakes, and of course the inbred cannibals who are so prevalent in the hollers.

:)

I just heard this song, and really, really liked it...
...and then I read it is only a demo :));
"This song was never finished. its a demo from ~ the lost album ~, recorded early 2013. i lost the ableton file, so its not mixed or mastered. i tried to doctor the mp3 into a listenable state, but it was poorly recorded in the first place and never meant to be heard by anyone, so its a bit of a mess haha. Grimes"

Poorly recorded and a bit of a mess? Nah, I think it is great :biggrin:.

Grimes - Realiti (wikilink)

My daughter is a big fan of Grimes, her and her friends are all confused about her dating Elon Musk

Some cheery music from Swans:

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and DennisN
BWV said:
Some cheery music from Swans
:biggrin: They sound more depressed than Joy Division and The Cure.

A good song by The Cure:
The Cure - Pictures Of You

And I just noticed I haven't posted a Sigrid song lately... :nb) ...so here is a live version of the recently released song "High Five", which also serves as a lesson in how to sing if you want some real challenge... :smile:

Sigrid performs "High Five" (LIVE May 27 2018)

Original video is here, with a Spielberg/Stranger Things feel.

OK, so being a Disney "fanatic" of some sort, I have many CDs and iTunes downloads of Disney tunes. However, of ALL the Disney-produced tunes that I have heard, this one, without a doubt, is my most favorite tune of all time!. And I don't say that very lightly.

The music is called Tapestry of Nations (not to be confused with Tapestry of Dreams that Disney produced later on that bastardized the original tune). The music was created to accompany an afternoon parade in the World Showcase area of Epcot. The first time I saw the parade and heard the music, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I kid you not. It was an immediate and emotional reaction to the sights and sounds.

I immediately bought the CD (part of the Millennial Celebration), and have been listening to it consistently ever since, especially on long car rides. I have never gotten tired of it. It is 23 minutes long, and it sounds spectacular when played loud.

The parade was THE best parade that Disney has ever produced at Walt Disney World. Unfortunately, they had to stop it quite soon after it started (when compared to the life of other Disney parades at the theme park). The costumes and equipment that the parade cast members had to carry were causing muscle injuries after so many times. There hasn't been a parade of any kind at Epcot since.

Luckily, there are footage of the parade from 2000.

Best Disney Music EVER!

Zz.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Takes me to a happy place. Hope it will relax everyone this weekend. :)

Corrected version because we need factual information! :DD

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
I love Mandy Moore and Selena's songs. So sad that Selena passed away already.

The favorites no song; but the forms.

For those who remember the early 1970's...

I thought there'd never be another Ian Gillan (Deep Purple), but I just heard Petr Elfimov sing "Child in Time", one of the most difficult songs ever composed. Here he is with an full orchestra.

I never thought I'd say it, but I think he's even slightly better than Ian Gillan. I also think this arrangement is slightly better than the original.

He also does "Gethsemane (I only want to say)" from Jesus Christ Superstar -- again even better than the original, IMHO.

strangerep said:
even slightly better than Ian Gillan.
My "test" of 70's bands was any that did NOT sound better than Boz Scaggs on a Boz Scaggs number were hopeless. "The Lido Shuffle," in particular.

Two tracks I really like by the Greek chillwave band Keep Shelly In Athens:

Time Exists Only To Betray Us

Oostende

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
I like this song because it's great music and it's about miners. How many songs do you know that celebrate the miners? If someone is interested, when I have time I will post the lyrics in English as well as German.

pinball1970 said:
No hate them, I've tried. I adore choral music (I sang in a choir) but I cannot get into opera. Not keen on solo type stuff either. Arias?Sorry showing ignorance here.

I like Mozart and love this, its all good but from 5.28 is just fantastic

This song from The Magic Flute is one of my favorites, sung by one of my favorite boys choir. The part about superstition giving way to enlightenment and men becoming like gods in a heaven-like kingdom on Earth is what I believe. Science and enlightenment in general is the way. A good message for July 4th, since that is the philosophy of Jefferson, Franklin, Paine, and other great champions of the enlightenment.

Bald prangt, den Morgen zu verkünden
Die Sonn' auf goldner Bahn,
Bald soll der Aberglaube schwinden,
Bald siegt der weise Mann.
O, holde Ruhe, steig hernieder,
Kehr in der Menschen Herzen wieder,
Dann ist die Erd' ein Himmelreich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich, Please search online for a professional English translation. Here is my own loose translation.

Soon the blazing sun comes on its golden way to herald the morning. Soon superstition shall vanish. Soon the wise man shall be victorious. Oh come sacred peace, return to the human heart. Then the Earth will become a heavenly empire, and mortals will become equal to gods.

Likes Craftek_Ana, epenguin and Spinnor
pinball1970 said:
The first is pretty strange, I don't do opera, call me a heathen- I tried sorry

The Trojans by Berlioz is a great opera.

He also wrote Symphonie Fantastique which is amazing.

This is one of many superb passages from The Trojans.

Sorry, no lyrics on this one. But the cows make up for it.

Likes Craftek_Ana and symbolipoint
david2 said:

It's blocked, at least for me here in the USA.

I think I found a version that works in the USA.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
This song from The Magic Flute is one of my favorites, sung by one of my favorite boys choir. The part about superstition giving way to enlightenment and men becoming like gods in a heaven-like kingdom on Earth is what I believe. Science and enlightenment in general is the way. A good message for July 4th, since that is the philosophy of Jefferson, Franklin, Paine, and other great champions of the enlightenment.

Bald prangt, den Morgen zu verkünden
Die Sonn' auf goldner Bahn,
Bald soll der Aberglaube schwinden,
Bald siegt der weise Mann.
O, holde Ruhe, steig hernieder,
Kehr in der Menschen Herzen wieder,
Dann ist die Erd' ein Himmelreich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich, Please search online for a professional English translation. Here is my own loose translation.

Soon the blazing sun comes on its golden way to herald the morning. Soon superstition shall vanish. Soon the wise man shall be victorious. Oh come sacred peace, return to the human heart. Then the Earth will become a heavenly empire, and mortals will become equal to gods.
Speaking of loose translation, had I not been enjoying a favorite beverage of the founding fathers, I would have translated "holde Ruhe" a bit differently. I think "fair peace" or "beautiful peace" is correct. Any native German speakers are welcome to provide any corrections. As the great German writer Wilhelm Shakespeare once said, "to err is human, especially after an adult beverage." Long live the Reinheitsgebot.

Timely songs by the sarcastic master (Randy Newman):
Burn On (about when the Cuyahoga River catching fire in the 1970's):

Sail Away (about the slave trade):

Political Science:

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Paradise Lost
Natural Beauty (Neil Young):

The Last Resort (Eagles):

Paradise (John Prine):

Non-Current Events?
For What Its Worth (Buffalo Springfield):

Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who):

Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh):

American Idiot (Green Day):

Likes pinball1970
Here's my favorite song. It's a gentle country / gospel tune that has special meaning for me since (1) it's about wood, the study of which is my passion and (2) this version is by a great country / gospel band that are relatives of mine. They don't have a video of it, but have allowed me to post it on my own site since this version, from one of their albums, is better than the one they have on-line.

Heart of the Wood

Last edited:
BWV said:
My daughter is a big fan of Grimes, her and her friends are all confused about her dating Elon Musk

Some cheery music from Swans:

This is one of the most brilliant songs I've heard in some time. I never heard Swan before. Aside from physics, and other technical stuff, I learn about some really fine music here.

The first time through, I could only take about 90 seconds. This time I listened to the whole dreary song. A real downer. It will be perfect to play for someone who is getting a bit too happy about their success.

Meanwhile here's something that really cheers me up.

Happy success to all.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
This is one of the most brilliant songs I've heard in some time. I never heard Swan before. Aside from physics, and other technical stuff, I learn about some really fine music here.

The first time through, I could only take about 90 seconds. This time I listened to the whole dreary song. A real downer. It will be perfect to play for someone who is getting a bit too happy about their success.

Cool, although I find myself laughing at the song sometimes because it’s so over the top - and to me that is part of the idea of the song, laughter is a great counter to this kind of depressive thinking

Swans are very expressionist (exploring extreme states of the human condition through art) - if Failure is not dark enough there is Killing for Company, which tries to get in the mind of Dennis Nilsen - the ‘British Jeffrey Dahmer’

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045