Why April 1st?

• Thread starter Chen
  • Start date
So what are the origins of this day? Today I heard a nice little theory, obviously it's not true but I thought it was nice. :wink:

The day is April 1st, right? Jump 8 months and about 3 weeks forward and you arrive at December 25th, the birthday of Jesus. So on April 1st, when Mary told her friends that she was impregnated by the holy spirit, everyone laughed at her and from that day April 1st is known as April's Fools day.

Answers and Replies

ShawnD
Science Advisor
:biggrin:

Never thought of it that way before.

Njorl
Science Advisor
Well, according to The Simpsons, it has something to do with the changing of new years day from April 1st to January 1st. The converted Christians who switched to Rome's calender used January. The Pagans used April, those fools.

Njorl

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tsunami said:
Here's the first thing Google gave me on 'Origin of April Fool's Day".

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/aprilfools1.html

There are a lot more sites than this, tho.
The French never cease to entertain. Was Jerry Lewis behind this one? :biggrin:

The French came to call April 1 Poisson d'Avril, or "April Fish." French children sometimes tape a picture of a fish on the back of their schoolmates, crying "Poisson d'Avril" when the prank is discovered.

Why April 1st? Good quetion. In ancient times it was hotly debated whether or not every month needed to have a 1st.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chen said:
So what are the origins of this day? Today I heard a nice little theory, obviously it's not true but I thought it was nice. :wink:

The day is April 1st, right? Jump 8 months and about 3 weeks forward and you arrive at December 25th, the birthday of Jesus. So on April 1st, when Mary told her friends that she was impregnated by the holy spirit, everyone laughed at her and from that day April 1st is known as April's Fools day.
Very astute! And very funny! :biggrin: