Why buy new model rocket engines?

In summary, model rocket engines are disposable after one use because the damage caused by the launch process makes them unsafe for reuse. While reloadable model rocket engines do exist, real life rocket engines used for larger rockets such as the Falcon 9 or Atlas-V are typically not designed for multiple uses due to the risk of damage during launch and landing. This means that new rocket engines must be constructed for each launch, making rocket engine rebuilds and reconstructions a primary cost factor for expensive rocket launches. The use of disposable model rocket engines also helps ensure safety and prevents inexperienced individuals from experimenting with potentially dangerous substances.
BonesSheppard
Hi I was wondering why are model rocket engines disposable after one use? Is it because it is more economically feasible to buy a new model rocket engine than to repair a used one because the process of using a model rocket engine always ruins it? Also, if it is the case that model rocket engines are ruined after one use, is it also the case with larger rockets? For example Falcon 9 or the Atlas-V, does this require companies and agencies such as SpaceX and NASA to rebuild or construct new rocket engines after each launch similar to model rockets? And if the previous answer is yes, are rocket engine rebuilds or reconstructions a primary cost factor for why rocket launches are so expensive?

Sorry for the questions and I appreciate anyone answering them, I was just curious :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to pf,
the damage to the engines means that it cannot safely be reused if repared.
i.e. you could, technically refuel a sky-rocket tube, and reuse it. Why is that not routinely done?

Welcome to PF!

There are reloadable model rocket engines

http://www.hobbylinc.com/reloadable-model-rocket-engine

Real life rocket engines fall to Earth or the ocean and get seriously damaged on impact or later through salt water. Any of these factors are enough to warrant using new rocket engines to insure a safer launch.

The two Solid Rocket Boosters (SRB) attached to each Space Shuttle mission were designed to separate after their fuel was exhausted, after which a parachute was deployed from each booster so that the boosters could be recovered from the Atlantic by a specially equipped vessel. The boosters were then returned to shore and refueled and re-furbished for use on future missions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle#Solid_rocket_boosters

In order to be reused, things like model rocket engines or Solid Rocket Boosters must be designed for multiple uses, which usually means that each unit is heavier than a single-use item.

The next best thing we have to get into space is either hypersonic propulsion (very far from practical) or RAM accelerators/rail guns. Neither technology is mature enough to launch anythign appreciable into space. So, we are stuck with inefficient rockets in the sense that they are very heavy and have a small capacity.

Model rocket motors were always intended to be low-cost, disposable, safely manufactured for one use by the Estes corporation. The model rocket itself is intended to be a recoverable and reusable item, made from paper and balsa. I have launched, successfully recovered and reused a 4-stage model rocket (4 'A' motors). The first 3 stages were "tumble" recovery, and the 4th by streamer. All my rockets and launches were governed by the safety code of the National Association of Rocketry, of which I was a member.

Last edited:
Rocket fuel is closely related to explosives. You don't want kids experimenting with it.
Model engines are made very carefully.

See "October Sky" , it's about home made rockets. And it is a darn good movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Sky

1. Why should I buy new model rocket engines instead of reusing old ones?

There are several reasons why buying new model rocket engines is recommended. Firstly, using old engines can be dangerous as the engine's structural integrity may have been compromised with previous use. Secondly, new engines are specifically designed to meet safety standards and regulations. Additionally, new engines provide consistent and reliable performance, ensuring a successful rocket launch.

2. How often should I replace my model rocket engines?

The frequency of replacing model rocket engines depends on several factors such as the type of engine, the frequency of use, and the condition in which they are stored. It is generally recommended to replace engines after every few launches to ensure optimal performance and safety. Additionally, if an engine shows any signs of damage, it should be replaced immediately.

3. Can I save money by reusing old model rocket engines?

While reusing old model rocket engines may seem like a cost-saving measure, it can actually end up being more expensive in the long run. Reusing old engines can lead to multiple failed launches, which can result in damage to the rocket and other associated costs. Additionally, using old engines can compromise the safety of the launch, leading to potential injuries or damage to property.

4. How do I know which model rocket engines to buy?

The type of model rocket engines you need to buy depends on the size and weight of your rocket. It is important to carefully read the specifications provided by the manufacturer to ensure compatibility. Additionally, consider the type of launch you want to achieve and choose engines with the appropriate thrust and duration for your desired outcome.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to buying new model rocket engines?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to buying new model rocket engines. Firstly, new engines are designed to release minimal pollutants into the air, reducing the impact on the environment. Secondly, using new engines reduces the risk of littering from failed launches, as old engines may not be able to withstand multiple uses. Additionally, new engines can be recycled, making them a more eco-friendly option compared to old engines that may end up in landfills.