1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can you see stars (1/r or 1/r^2 dropoff of power)?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    I read somewhere that people can see stars because an electromagnetic wave drops off by 1/r, therefore the power delivered by the electromagnetic wave stays strong enough to activate the receptors in your eye. I believe, this 1/r relation was realized by Maxwell when he was analyzing and combining the Maxwell equations. But, even still, the intensity or flux of light waves should be dropping off by 1/r^2 because (according to Gauss' law) the light from that distant star all passes through a notional sphere that gets bigger and bigger the farther one gets away from that distant star. The sphere expands by r^2 for an increase of distance r. So why doesn't the intensity of the light drop off by 1/r^2 or does it? Even though the light itself decreases by 1/r, the intensity still has to follow this 1/r^2 relation.

Your eye being triggered depends on the power delivered by that electromagnetic radiation right? If this is true, what would be the equation for this? Dependent on 1/r or 1/r^2?

If someone could just generally shed some illumination on this overall situation and what is going on here with 1/r versus 1/r^2 and when one or the other matters, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! -xerxes73

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

The intensity is the square of the field. So if the field goes like 1/r the intensity goes like 1/r^2.

This is the case for light radiating from a localized source (like a star); the electric and magnetic fields both depend on the distance from the star as
    [tex]
    E\sim\frac{1}{r}e^{ikr}\;,
    [/tex]
    where ck is the angular frequency of the light.

As for the intensity:
    [tex]
    I\sim |E|^2\sim \frac{1}{r^2}\;.
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?